Crankshaft Oil Seal Installation Issue

firedawgsatx

Threads
I am in the process of replacing the crankshaft oil seal (p/n 399781S) on a B & S 12S512-0118-E engine. The engine is leaking oil on the floor from that seal. I had purchased a used Troy Bilt pressure washer last summer. The engine runs really good but the oil leak is annoying. I decided to replace the seal. When I removed the water pump from the bottom of the engine I saw that someone had apparently installed the oil seal upside down and apparently the cause of the leak. I could not remove the oil seal the traditional way because the seal was pushed all the way down and into the recess where the camshaft passes through the oil sump. So I removed the sump and with a lot of difficulty I was able to remove the upside down seal. I cleaned up the oil sump and when I attempted to install the new seal it appears the seal is too large to fit into the opening. I am attempting to install the new seal with the sump removed from the engine. I checked the parts diagram and it shows I ordered the correct seal. The parts diagram shows the sump is part number 498983. I tried to gently tap the seal into the opening on the sump but the seal's diameter is a little too large. I am hoping to get some advice or tips on installing this seal. Is it better to re-install the sump onto the engine and then install the seal using a proper diameter piece of pipe or socket? I used lube on the outside of the seal and the opening in the sump. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Warm the sump on our BBQ
Ovens work better but sleeping on the front porch for the rest of your life is not fun.
And put the seal in a zip lock bag in the freezer.

Before you start measure the hole & the seal.
Any more than around .002" would mean you have the wrong seal

firedawgsatx

Threads
Warm the sump on our BBQ
Ovens work better but sleeping on the front porch for the rest of your life is not fun.
And put the seal in a zip lock bag in the freezer.

Before you start measure the hole & the seal.
Any more than around .002" would mean you have the wrong seal

Thanks for the great advice and laugh about having to sleep on the porch! Using a digital caliper to measure, the opening on the sump is 1.617" and the seal's outside diameter is 1.693", so about .076 inch difference. In the videos I have watched the person installing the seal can start the seal in the hole by pressing with both thumbs. I am definitely unable to do that. At this point, I am ready to try the method you mentioned to heat the sump and freeze the seal. If I use the oven what temperature would I set it at and how long would I "bake" it? Thanks!

Russ2251

Threads
Pan of hot water works for me.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
.076" is WAY too much press fit.

You've got the wrong seal.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if that sump base is different for the washer vs a mower? There are various changes for that service.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
OP, what's the digit after the E in the model number.
Should be E1,E2 etc.

EDIT. ( I looked up both variants e1&e2, sump part number is the same)

firedawgsatx

Threads
I wonder if that sump base is different for the washer vs a mower? There are various changes for that service.

I searched on the internet and found several photos of sumps with the same part number and they all appear to be identical to the one I have. Of course, there could be a difference in the diameter of the opening.