Snow blower Craftsman Snow Blower (murray) auger gearbox

NWSER

Forum Newbie
Threads
So here is a simple but maybe stupid Question, when servicing a snow blower gearbox (any brand) and needing to replace the factory grease that's inside, what is more used/recommended?
I've been searching around and been getting many mixed answers, The owners manuals on some recommend a Shell Alvania grease which i find is NLA an replaced by a Shell Gadus s2? pretty expensive stuff, and for ariens they have their own special brand lube, ive heard some people just packing it with your typical ball joint grease, some use 90W gear lube, or even a "00" grease which from doing research is a close EP lube to the Shell Alvania.

ANY Input or recomandations?
Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As always I will look for a Synthetic Oil or Grease.
If your box will hold oil without leaking or seeping go with a GL4-GL5 gear oil, if it leaks use a good Synthetic grease... Either way you go insure the lube is compatible with brass, should say okay to use with Yellow Metals.
Normal changeout is around once every 10 years, with normal use & no water incorporated... So the price should not be a Big factor.

Here is a YouTube clip with a grease recommendation in the video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPzKMYO12_Y
:smile:KennyV

NWSER

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay thank you for the Reply and the Solid Information! :thumbsup: