Craftsman riding mower, died while mowing and won't start back up

IvyStone36

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman riding mower, died while mowing and won't start back up
I recently bought my first riding mower. Bought it used so I do not know what kind of issues the seller may have 'forgotten' to tell me about. It mowed the 2 acre field fine two times, and the third time, when almost done with the field, it started getting hot, then died and wouldn't start again. Turning over fine and then backfiring, but will not start. After it died it was smoking a little bit. I've tried it several times over the last 36 hours, and the same turning over and not starting. I've never had a riding mower before and don't know where to start. I can't know how to work on something unless I learn, one problem at a time.
What should I check/do first?

Jack17

Threads
1) Fuel in the tank?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Four things First Fuel, then spark, check compression, and last timing. If you have all four of these things it will run. Start on the small things first, fuel in the tank, all filters, spark plug, oil in engine. I know you said one problem at a time but I say start on the cheap small things first , from here on you will have to start getting your hands dirty.

Jim1590

Threads
How is the oil? Did prior owner change it, did you?

Charge the battery up on a trickle charger.

I bought mine used as well. Smoke from the engine, oil was a gritty black. Did a bunch of stuff and it would crank but not turn over. Charged the battery for 24 hours and has been running great.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of things will make an engine get hot. 1) mowing with throttle in less than full speed and 2) mouse nest under the fan shroud blocking air flow across the head(s).

IvyStone36

Forum Newbie
Threads
Running out of gas would have sputtered then died as it ran out. I've run it out of gas several times so I know what it does. When it died I checked the gas in case I hit something that killed it, then it just didn't have enough gas to start back up. I drained what gas was left and put new in it, in case somehow rain got into the gas can and it didn't bother the motor 'till the last little bit of the tank. Oil was the next thing I checked and it is clean. The previous owner said he had just gotten an oil change, which could mean he knew he had never done it and got it changed to make it seem like he took care of it, which could mean lots of things not maintained properly.
If it died because it wasn't throttled correctly while mowing, wouldn't it start back up after it cooled down?
Battery dead-would it get hot and die mid mow from a dead battery, and would it still turn over with a dead battery?
The next thing I checked was the air intake, as that was the most logical option, that it mowed the acreage fine two times, then while mowing the third time, it either was dirty or got clogged with something. Nothing in the air intake system other than some dust in the filter that I cleaned out. Headed to the part store in a minute to get new spark plugs, since it probably needs it anyways.
Reynoldston - would spark, compression or timing cause it to die in the way it did. I understand things happening while it sits in a carport over the winter that will make it not start in the spring, but mine was running fine, for months, no problems, I just used it more than the previous owner did so it got worked more than it was used to. I don't know how to test compression or timing, so I'm wondering which one I should focus on learning how to do first.

Thank you all for the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ignition timing is set by the flywheel key.
Pull the cover & flywheel retaining nut/bolt if the 2 halves of the key ways meet to make a perfect square all is good but you can pull the flywheel off it you really want to be 100% sure.
Buy an inline plug tester and check for spark.
If you don't see a spark then disconnect the single wire going into the ignition coil and try again,
No spark = dead coil
Spark = safety switch problem

If you have spark then try the starting fliud down the carb intake.
If you can keep the engine running with little squiret of starter fluid then you have a fuel problem.

Do this & let us know how you go