Craftsman Push Mower Model No. 247.37037

able43

Threads
Engine model - 128m02-0952-f1
p/n 498260 is the rebuild kit I purchased for the original carb p/n 799866
The mower was found yard selling, everything present on mower except blade. Has spark and I am questionable about the compression, I did the shade tree mechanic trick of taking off the spark plug and putting my thumb over the hole and have someone turn over the engine with the pull cord. It barely blew back my thumb so there is that. I also forced starting fluid through carb, no start. I then forced starting fluid directly into cylinder and got it to fire off once or twice with some audible sounds of metal internally.When I took the carb off I disassembled it, including choke shaft and throttle shaft along with their butterflies. The carb had it's bath in my ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 mins. I will attach some pictures of the carb and could someone please see if I put everything back together correctly. Also I would really enjoy picking brains for any tips or advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    661 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 8

dougand3

Threads
The welch plug looks funky. Did you punch it? Normally, use a big Allen wrench or wooden dowel, just smaller than the welch plug to seat it.
And no clue on needle and float. Did you wire the horizontal and vertical holes in the bowl bolt?
Seriously, tho.....if you can't induce fuel into plug hole and get a 2-3 sec "normal" run....messing with carb is rather futile.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fires with fuel down the plug hole but won't run with fuel down tha cab throat screms out stuck valve or loose valve seat.

able43

Threads
The welch plug looks funky. Did you punch it? Normally, use a big Allen wrench or wooden dowel, just smaller than the welch plug to seat it.
And no clue on needle and float. Did you wire the horizontal and vertical holes in the bowl bolt?
Seriously, tho.....if you can't induce fuel into plug hole and get a 2-3 sec "normal" run....messing with carb is rather futile.

I said something to myself about the welch plug too, lack of concentration on my part. That was my second mower I worked on that day and truthfully I just dropped the carb and parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and put my faith in its cleaning potential. Will double check that main jet with bread ties. Thank you for your response

able43

Threads
Fires with fuel down the plug hole but won't run with fuel down tha cab throat screms out stuck valve or loose valve seat.

Thanks for getting the gears in my brain turning. I will double check my carb work. If that doesn't fix her up I will look inside.

able43

Threads
Ignition timing. Sheared flywheel key weigh.

Attachments

• sheared flywheel key.jpg
    sheared flywheel key.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being that far out of time I am flabbergasted that it fired at all
When you pull the flywheel there will be a little lip on both the flywheel & the crankshaft. make sure you clean then off befre trying to refit the flywheel or the key will continue to shear.

able43

Threads
What would you recommend to clean that lip up with?