Craftsman Pro 46" doesn't mow evenly on side hills

Threads
  • / Craftsman Pro 46" doesn't mow evenly on side hills
I have a Craftsman Pro 46" riding lawn mower, model 247.270390. There are some moderate inclines in my lawn and when I am mowing across an incline, even at a shallow angle (that is not directly across the incline) the low side of the cutting deck mows shorter than the high side. See the attached pictures. The Inline picture of the front lawn shows it somewhat undulates so that the path shown in the other front lawn picture goes across this undulation.

Last fall before putting the mower away for the Winter I did the leveling procedure on the deck and I did have to adjust it a little. I wonder if there is a known issue with this mower not maintaining level mowing on a lawn with these inclines or if I just have to live with it. I mostly try to mow with my 21" Honda self-propelled walk behind mower as I like the pattern it creates (as seen in the "...Front Lawn Inline" photo) but since I have 29,000 square feet of lawn and it takes me two or three days with the Honda, I often only have one day to mow between rainy days here in the Pacific Northwest and have to use the Craftsman. This past Friday I tried mowing directly up or down the back lawn inclines and that helped a lot but it seems the mower should be able to mow level if mowing across the inclines.

One thing I was wondering is if I lowered the anti-scalp wheels down to the point where they are riding on the turf all the time, would that help the situation.

BTW, I am using the high-lift blades I purchased from Jack's Small Engines as suggested in this other thread:

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• Incline Front Lawn.jpg
    Incline Front Lawn.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Incline Front Lawn Inline.jpg
    Incline Front Lawn Inline.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Incline Back Lawn.jpg
    Incline Back Lawn.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 3

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be an air pressure issue with the tires. One lower than the other. Or could be just as simple as the low hill side transfers more of the mower weight on that side causing the tire to sag more.

Threads
Ok, I'll check the tire pressure but good point about the sag as the mower is pretty heavy.