Craftsman leaf blower impeller nut keeps coming loose

jake18v

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman leaf blower impeller nut keeps coming loose
I got an old Craftsman 32cc leaf blower my Dad had sitting around in his shed(1989??? model). I had to clean out the carb and replace the fuel line & spark plug. She ran really good all fall. Then around Christmas, the blower was running rough and then the engine just died. I couldn't get it to start at all.

I opened up the door for the impeller and found the nut there was hand tight. I replaced the nut with a locknut and she ran a couple times and then I had the same issue. It ran rough and died quickly. And sure enough the locknut was loose.

Any idea what's causing this issue?

Attachments

• impeller with regular nut.jpeg
    impeller with regular nut.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 21
  • impeller.jpeg
    impeller.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
  • blower diagram.jpg
    blower diagram.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 21
  • blower chart.jpg
    blower chart.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 16

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pick up a tube of blue Loctite & apply a small amount to threads.
Walmart & auto parts stores should have it available.

jake18v

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pick up a tube of blue Loctite & apply a small amount to threads.
Walmart & auto parts stores should have it available.
I can definitely try that. I've got both red and blue loctite sitting around.

I'm wondering, what's going on with the blower to cause that nut to come loose. Is there excessive vibration caused by another broken part further upstream?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like the plastic impellor can wobble on the hex part of the shaft. Maybe it is moving around loosening the nut.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It looks like the plastic impellor can wobble on the hex part of the shaft. Maybe it is moving around loosening the nut.
Yes that would do it and I have a replaced a few fans because of it here.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you continue to have same issue as ILENGINE described go to Home Depot & pick up an Echo & use their 2 cycle oil. I always use 93 octane gas & Star Tron fuel Treatment!

jake18v

Forum Newbie
Threads
That would make sense. Perhaps the nut got loose at some point and the plastic on the impeller started getting worn down to the point where it no longer has a tight hexagonal shape. Now it wobbles so much that it can loosen a locknut.

The impeller part number is 530-014157 according the the manual (link below). I searched that part and came up empty on the internet.

But according to jackssmallengines.com 530-014157 has been "superceded" by 530047077 and is in stock. Anyone have an opinion if this part will actually fit?

jackssmallengine search:

Manual.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My poulan/husqvarna parts distributor shows the 530047077 as the superceded part number. And you need to order it since my distributor also shows it as NLA

I got thinking that that hex part that is sitting inside the fan is supposed to be one piece with the fan not two separate pieces.

jake18v

Forum Newbie
Threads
My poulan/husqvarna parts distributor shows the 530047077 as the superceded part number. And you need to order it since my distributor also shows it as NLA

I got thinking that that hex part that is sitting inside the fan is supposed to be one piece with the fan not two separate pieces.
I’m going to pull it apart today and get a better look.

jake18v

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took it apart and the plastic hexagonal hole in the center of the impeller is smashed. I think when I cranked down the locknut it smashed the plastic. It seems to be working with a locknut and a lock washer. But the air speed doesn't seem adequate at all. Nothing near the power it had last fall. Could that be a sign the impeller needs replacement?

Any other items you guys would order to get this old blower working? I'd like to combo everything on one order now so I only have to pay one shipping charge.

Thanks