Craftsman Hydro brake job

bg123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'v got a craftsman model 917.270680 42 inch mower with a 16hp turbo cooled motor. I'm trying to change the brake pads but am not sure how to remove the brake disc.

It looks like I might have to remove the automatic drive disengagement lever from inside the transaxle.
I can't clear the disc from the shaft without removing or otherwise moving that bar.

Anyone changed these pads before?

IMG_20190811_155840.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The disc is seized to the splined shaft. Will probably require penetrating oil and some work to get it freed up and off. That disc normally free floats on the end of that shaft.

bg123

Forum Newbie
Threads
The disc is seized to the splined shaft. Will probably require penetrating oil and some work to get it freed up and off. That disc normally free floats on the end of that shaft.

Ya, I probably will need to do that. It's pretty crusty at the end of the shaft. My more immediate problem is the disconnect bar blocking the disc from moving forward off the shaft. I'm not clear on how to remove that part.
It doesn't appear to be removable from the outside.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like the lever has a one way push nut on it, have to pry it off. Usually destroys it. Hardware store would have it. How much clearance between the disc and the lever? A quarter inch or so might let the brake pad come out of the slot it's in.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is held on by a push nut, and will normally break when you try to remove it. Just have to get under the edge of the nut and start prying it off.

bg123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Right on! Thats what it was. I was able to get it all apart after this and replaced the brakes. Thanks!

Looks like the lever has a one way push nut on it, have to pry it off. Usually destroys it. Hardware store would have it. How much clearance between the disc and the lever? A quarter inch or so might let the brake pad come out of the slot it's in.