Craftsman GT 5000 Wiring

Spikeit

Threads
Does anyone have, or can direct me to where I can get a wiring schematic for a GT 5000 model #917.27636? The Sears site shows one in the owners manual doesn't list the wire colors. The Kohler engine gave up so I put a twin Briggs in it's place and have some wiring to figure out. It'll crank/run, lights work but the PTO won't engage whereas it did before and the fuse is good. And, I can't find a terminal on the ign switch that will ground out the motor to shut it off. I've ohm'd and ohm'd with no luck, hence the need for a schematic. I've found some schematics online but the wire colors don't match up to this mower, besides a few other differences.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your mower is a Husqvana in drag and should have the same wiring as a YTH 2648 ( 4 wire seat switch ) if not then a GTH 2245 ( 1 or 2 wire seat switch)
Both of these parts books have the complete wiring diagrams in them and are downloadable for free.
The earth wire is not on the plug but a single wire that hooks up to the G ( Ground ) terminal on the back of the ignition switch.
The back of the PTO switch should have 3 rows of contacts.
The rows with 3 terminals are all ground connections to activate the various safety switches.
The row with only 2 is power in & power out to the PTO.

Spikeit

Threads
Your mower is a Husqvana in drag and should have the same wiring as a YTH 2648 ( 4 wire seat switch ) if not then a GTH 2245 ( 1 or 2 wire seat switch)
Both of these parts books have the complete wiring diagrams in them and are downloadable for free.
The earth wire is not on the plug but a single wire that hooks up to the G ( Ground ) terminal on the back of the ignition switch.
The rows with 3 terminals are all ground connections to activate the various safety switches.

Man, this is some helpful info! This, combined with the schematic from another response should to the trick and I greatly appreciate the help. A Husqvana in drag? :laughing: That right there's funny, I don't care who you are! By the way, the "drag queen" has the 4 wire seat switch; YTH2648. And thx too for including model #'s and mfg 'cause I wondered who built this thing. Husqvana; I would've never guessed.

Spikeit

Threads

Well, I've been down for several days and just now got back on this project. I found the YTH-2648 is close but not exact. Reading further explains why not. To the drivers left side of the motor the wires in that section of harness are; red, white, orange, purple. I don't have the printed schematic in front of me right now but I do remember there is NO purple wire listed, unless I've overlooked it. Any idea where it goes? And this mower does have the 4-wire seat switch. One pic shows the left side (ing. switch hanging loose) and the other pic is of the drivers rt side.

DSC02155.jpgDSC02154.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Purple is used by Kohler for the alternator feed to the battery ( usually goes to the A1 or A2 on the ignition switch).
If yiu pull the plug off the ignition switch most are stamped with letters corresponding to the connection chart in the bottom of the diagrams.
The only thing to get absolutely right are the ignition kill wires so I strongly sugges you disconnect the ignition coil kill wire from the coil and double check you never get voltage on the wire.
It should be either open circuit ( on ) or ground ( off ).

Spikeit

Threads
Purple is used by Kohler for the alternator feed to the battery ( usually goes to the A1 or A2 on the ignition switch).
If yiu pull the plug off the ignition switch most are stamped with letters corresponding to the connection chart in the bottom of the diagrams.
The only thing to get absolutely right are the ignition kill wires so I strongly sugges you disconnect the ignition coil kill wire from the coil and double check you never get voltage on the wire.
It should be either open circuit ( on ) or ground ( off ).

Man, if your not a mower repairman you should be. I've been working on them for several years now on the side. This one has stumped me but it's the first one I've converted from Kohler to Briggs. Reason I did so is because I had the the Briggs sitting and the Kohler, while the cylinders are great, smoked a lot as int eh end gap was way past the high side of acceptable. The oddity was the cylinders have NO ring wear at the top. I priced replacement rings @ $35 or so for each cylinder plus seals and gaskets plus shipping. Why spend all that when I have a good Briggs? In hindsight I should've because I've had that much in headache's trying to get this figured out. I've had it running but when I engage the PTO it shuts off. And, without the PTO being on, when I turn it off it keeps running. It grounds via a white wire from the coil (remember, this is an old L head) but can't find which one on the switch grounds when it's turned off. I've used an ohm meter and still haven't found the right position/wire. On the flip side, when the Kohler was on it the PTO worked no problem so it's in the wiring EVEN THOUGH I haven't touched that segment of the wiring. I know it's basic thus SHOULD be simple but still, it's worn me out. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Dunno. Thanks again greatly for your knowledge and assist.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the plug off the ignition switch .
On the back should be tiny letters
M= magneto kill wire
G= Ground
these two wires should join when the switch is off

Spikeit

Threads
Take the plug off the ignition switch .
On the back should be tiny letters
M= magneto kill wire
G= Ground
these two wires should join when the switch is off

Hey Berts. Yes, I'm still dealing with this junk when time allows. I can't find it but in one reply you said this ignition switch has one stand alone white wire. Mine doesn't. Hopefully the attachments get through and clear enough to see.

DSC02205.jpg

DSC02204.jpg
DSC02207.jpg
DSC02208.jpg