Countax c300H with Honda v twin

Saml.uk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have recently purchased a Countax with a 13hp v twin Honda and I'm having engine issues. The engine starts ok when cold, but cuts out and struggles when warm. It also backfires and struggles to restart when warm and when it gets going it refuses to rev up to properly. the throttle response is very slow and it kind of sounds like the choke is on when it isn't if that helps. when the engine is put under any strain by the PTO or cutting blades it struggles to stay running. It has new plugs, new petrol, airfilter. I have cleaned up the carb as good as I can (i'm relatively new to small engines). Any advice would be helpful. I can upload a video if it is helpful.
Thanks
Sam

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check that it is working on both cylinders
Reset the valve lash on both cylinders
Check that the choke is actually fully off at the carb

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old is this mower? Flat head or OHV motor. Without knowing more I'd think a timing issue or an exhaust restriction.

mistermowerman

Threads
Hello, i had the same problem with a customers Countax and i traced to a failing ignition unit .

Saml.uk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, thank you for all your replies. It is a 2003 model with a GCV530 OHC engine. It runs on both cylinders when idling and sounds ok, but as soon as it revs up and warms up it plays up. I have checked the carb and the choke is shutting off correctly and starts the engine easily when cold. The previous owner stated it was working perfectly, but it cut out and this problem started when driving it into the garage for the first time after delivery. Unless I have been mis-sold a faulty machine, something may have happened during transportation, which leads me to think it's an electrical issue? mistermowerman - Should I replace the ignition coils or something more? thank you again for your help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get an inline spark tester and check the spark.
If it stops or faulters at high speeds then you have an electrical problem
Remove the kill wire from the coils and test again.
If the testers still flash but the engine is not firing then either the flywheel key is sheared or you have a fuel problem.

If that engine has a solenoid on the carb, it could also be failing,
You test that by replacing it with a bolt.

mistermowerman

Threads
Hi, thank you for all your replies. It is a 2003 model with a GCV530 OHC engine. It runs on both cylinders when idling and sounds ok, but as soon as it revs up and warms up it plays up. I have checked the carb and the choke is shutting off correctly and starts the engine easily when cold. The previous owner stated it was working perfectly, but it cut out and this problem started when driving it into the garage for the first time after delivery. Unless I have been mis-sold a faulty machine, something may have happened during transportation, which leads me to think it's an electrical issue? mistermowerman - Should I replace the ignition coils or something more? thank you again for your help
Hello, a simple way to check is with the engine running and having its problem, with an insulated pair of pliers pull one plug cap off at a time and check if the engine runs the same or cuts out this should tell you which side has got the fault. Also in my experience faults do not appear in transit.Gary