Connecting rods require crank purchase

Bmwz389

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone!

I've got a Briggs Intek 22hp that broke both connecting rods. After quite a bit of research, both with Briggs and a local supplier, nobody can figure out why I need to purchase a crankshaft set to get these connecting rods. The date code on the valve cover reads 001204YH. The model is a 407777-0121-E5. Judging by the qualifiers, this engine requires a crank to get the rods and nobody can determine WHY, or if the standard rods will work.

Does anybody have any insight?

Thanks in advance!

- Brandon

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guess if Briggs doesn't have a clue then you are SOL.

slomo

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Bmwz389

Forum Newbie
Threads

So it would appear they superceded the part as a lot, then discontinued the kit and separated them again?

So round about story is the original conrods will work with either crank?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that around 2004 the crankshaft rod bearing surface changed sizes, and the crankshaft kit fits the new standard after 2004 rods.

Bmwz389

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the rods won't work?

Tinkerer200

Threads
This occurred in early versions of the engine and some speculate that a large batch of connection rods were manufactured which were slightly out of spec and rather that scrap them, crankshafts were machined to enable use of these rods OR
I think more likely, it could be the opposite, a large number of off spec cranks were made then rods to match. Rods could be bought for later engines and I have done that. Of course, B&S would be reluctant to admit this.

If I were faced with this problem, I would buy a ,020" under size rod and machine to fit as I am equipped to do that, Know a machinest or have a s school offering machinist classes who might do it as a project?

Walt Conner

Last edited:

Bmwz389

Forum Newbie
Threads
This brings me to my next question, I just discovered this last night taking another look at the block. Is this skirt damaged too high to be useable? If it's toast I'm just gonna scrap the motor and try to find a cheap used one.

Attachments

• PicsArt_07-01-06.08.28.jpg
    PicsArt_07-01-06.08.28.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Depending on how far down the piston skirt comes down when the crank rotates, it could be an issue with damaging the new piston and causing a repeat of the current issue.

Tinkerer200

Threads
From the picture, I would say the engine is junk. Parts for these engines are expensive. Probably find a junk mower with usable engine.
Walt Conner