Confused on what I should look for

XTwarrior1985

Threads
My John Deere rider has gone bad, and I am in search of a new rider. I have about a 800 dollar budget. I've been browsing for 3 weeks and I'm more confused as to what to get then when I started. I'm looking for advice and experience on good mowers I may get in that range.

I Mow about 1/2 an acre. Mostly smooth, back side of property is a gently sloped hill. 5 trees to Mow around. It's not big by any means. Only accessory I'd buy is a bagger for whatever I get, for fall leaves.

My goal is something reliable, sturdy. I'd like at the least a hydro transmission. My previous mower was a 2004 John Deere L120. I bought it in great shape, 413 hours. Changed oil and filters yearly. Yet it had all sorts of issues: broken steering rod, the K46 trans was weak, even after clean and synthetic oil change. Reverse was a joke. Electric clutch failed year 1. Finally, a hole developed in the driver side cylinder housing that finally broke the camels back.

I bought what I thought was an amazing mower, and yearly it had non-maintenance related issues.

Since I know all or most of the box store crap is rebadged and repainted MTD trash, was wondering if there were some lighter duty but sturdy and reliable used mowers that could be suggested? I'm not brand loyal, but I once bought a brand new craftsman mower and it blew oil out the exhaust year 3 (B&S motor) , so that's the only brand I'm not a fan of.

I've been looking at Cub Cadet GT series, Simplicity, John Deere GT series. Not sure if these are good or not.

Hopefully this is allowed, and hopefully I provided enough info.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FYI, Cub Cadet is built by MTD, possibily JD GT also. I would recommend Simplicity or if you can swing it Kubota T-series.

XTwarrior1985

Threads
FYI, Cub Cadet is built by MTD, possibily JD GT also. I would recommend Simplicity or if you can swing it Kubota T-series.
Thanks. No Kubota T series within 100 miles it seems.

Alot more Simplicity though. I found what looks like a great deal but it's too big. A Sunstar 20 with only 900 hours, decent condition, 700$. My shed won't accommodate it though, too long and a 60 inch deck is too wide.

Are Regents OK? Seems to be the majority of stuff in my price range.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Regents are Simplicity’s smallest tractor, but with your lawn size and conditions, when properly serviced should serve you well. If you go with the three bag, bagging system, I feel you must get the turbo attachment. Just my opinion.