Compact 23 - how to access spark plug

oldlawnguy

Threads
I bought a Husqvarna Compact 23 for $20 - bar & chain are good, will rebuild Walbro WT-20 carb (diaphram is crunchy), fuel line/filter needs replacing (crumbled)

2 questions:

1. How do you access spark plug on this model which is on the side at an angle and located by muffler? I removed gas tank to rebuild, however can't figure out how to get at plug without taking rest of saw apart...

2. This model does not have primer bulb and only 1 fuel line from tank, so how does carburetor get primed on cold start? Little to no documentation available online as this is a 80s/90s era saw.

Nice little well built metal cased saw. Trying to bring it back to life :)

Thanks

dougand3

Threads
This saw is a Poulan 2300. The clutch cover comes off to get to plug. IIRC - 1 bar nut, 1 vertical screw, 1 horizontal screw.
There is no purge bulb (2 cycles purge air from carb. It's not a primer, like in a 4 stroke). IIRC, 14" of fuel line, so 10-20 pulls when cold. Sometimes, I would charge the carb throat with tsp of fuel if I got tired of pulling.

oldlawnguy

Threads
This saw is a Poulan 2300. The clutch cover comes off to get to plug. IIRC - 1 bar nut, 1 vertical screw, 1 horizontal screw.
There is no purge bulb (2 cycles purge air from carb. It's not a primer, like in a 4 stroke). IIRC, 14" of fuel line, so 10-20 pulls when cold. Sometimes, I would charge the carb throat with tsp of fuel if I got tired of pulling.
Thanks dougand3! That did it. I was overcomplicating thinking this metal casing shell can't be kept in place by the bar nut. Yes the fuel line runs from tank through handle to carb. Did not know Compact 23 was a Poulan 2300 relabel...

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 5

oldlawnguy

Threads
Got it running.

Needed to replace the entire fuel system. fuel filter -> 4 in hose to hose connector that sits just below back of handle -> 10" hose that runs inside of handle to carb. Took apart carb and cleaned: metering diaphram, gaskets and fuel pump looked good. Added new spark plug and new air filter, cleaned bar, checked oiler and sharpened chain. Gave it a go... you were right I kept handle cover off so I could slowly see fuel working is way via suction to carb. Since I Had the whole thing apart cleaned it good with air gun. Looks like new.

Saw wanted to start and fire after about 10 pulls. Played around with the choke and eventually after about 30 pulls she fired up. Tuned the low speed jet a bit and the idle. High jet was good.

Thanks again for your help. It was a nice little project. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 6