Export thread

Clutch wires ripped out

C

cneumann

Hi all,

I have a 2012 JD Z665 with 60" deck.

So father in law was using mower today and backed up, deck quit so i start looking and the wires are ripped out of the clutch on the small block without any wire sticking out.

Is there a way to fix this? Or am i going to have to get a new clutch?
Thanks Codi

B

bertsmobile1

You can put ring terminals on the end of the wires and screw a ver short self tapper into the plastic housing.
Cover with liquid electrical tape then use a cable tie to hold the wire tight to the clutch body

C

cneumann

You can put ring terminals on the end of the wires and screw a ver short self tapper into the plastic housing.
Cover with liquid electrical tape then use a cable tie to hold the wire tight to the clutch body
With the self tappers do i go right into the original hole where the wire was before

B

bertsmobile1

Yes

C

cneumann

Alright thank you! I will give it a try. If that doesnt work can just that peice be replaced or do you then have to buy a new clutch

B

bertsmobile1

You might like to have a little look at this .
Taryl's clutch repair

I

ILENGINE

But before repairing need to determine why the wires got ripped out so it doesn't happen again.

C

cneumann

Thanks will be working on fixing this today hope all goes good

B

Born2Mow

But before repairing need to determine why the wires got ripped out so it doesn't happen again.
Correct. Ripped out wires is the symptom, not the problem.

I

ILENGINE

Correct. Ripped out wires is the symptom, not the problem.
My suspicion is the anti rotate device has worn through or came loose allowing the clutch to spin. There were several of those JD that were bad at wearing the device through.

C

cneumann

The wires got pulled out when he backed up and the got caught on some long stuff that was still there. He was mowing some plants of and had the deck up to not disturb the new growth and when he backed up it caught. I took off and put connectors in and reinstalled and it works as good as new now. Thanks for the help guys

Chris77

Chris77

Sorry to hijack, but was wondering which wires go where. I dropped the clutch trying to put it in and it landed perfectly enough to cut both wires off. Thanks