clutch/brake cable adjustment

Zackary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello: I recently purchased a used Series 6 Snapper rear engine mower to use in the cemetery in I manage. I have a newer Series 28 that I've used at home for years so I'm familiar w/ these mowers. One concern I have is that I am not able to smoothly shift the mower when I have the clutch/brake cable all the way to the floor. The machine shifts fine when the pedal is 1/2 of the way but I would like to have it come to a complete stop before shifting. There is a fair amount ( in excess of an inch -inch and a half) of slack in the cable before the clutch is engaged. I believe that with the brake fully engaged , the mower should shift gears easily. I'm assuming the cable needs to be adjusted . Any thoughts / suggestions on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.Thank you. Zackary.

Mow Joe

Threads
You don't have a problem. It's working just like it's supposed to. You don't clutch to shift through forward speeds. Start in 1st, then shift through any forward speeds and all the way back into neutral without clutching. Clutch when changing directions or stopping. Shift lever does not move when clutch/brake is fully depressed.

Zackary

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much Mow Joe for your help. i will do as you suggest. Zackary