Check list for buying mower off of Craigslist

mowsby

Threads
If you were going to buy a mower off of craigslist what kind of a checklist would you run through before you made your final decision and the purchase?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Craigslist is like any other place to find what you are looking for... Once found you need to go look at what you are considering and TRY IT OUT before you pay for it ...
If you can not start and run it when you look at it it is going to be worth less than the one that you can start and run... :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
mowsby,I bought my Grasshopper after finding it on Craigslist,I went to the guys house and ran it and made sure everything worked before I layed down the money.I ran into some glitchs after I bought it but with the help of KennyV and my brother was able to solve them asap.check oil and other fluids depending on the engine.check belts ,mower deck,spindels.if it a ztr check hydro motors ,lines for leakage.check tires.start and shutdown more than once.check that pto works,mow to make sure blades work and cut properley no leaks anywhere and if the engine smokes or not.look at the grease zirks that will give you an indication of how well the seller maintained it. also check the air filter. russ

stanley

Threads
If you're buying something used, then it doesn't matter where you're buying it from. Buyer beware. There are going to be a few things wrong with it, no matter how minor.

noma

Threads
Hi Stanely

You have to look it over very good and make sure it looks good start engine and mow with it a little to make sure it good. Yes if it used there are going to be some problems and maybe the sell is unable to fix it or just wants to up grade to some thing bigger or easyer to use. I don't think every one sell something is trying to get rid of there junk all the time. Be causes.:rolleyes:

mowsby

Threads
Thanks for all the tips. So what if you find a mower in another state that is a really good deal? I suppose that means you would want to take a trip to it to test it out?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is going to have to be a doozie of a deal to get me to travel over 200 miles one way... I say that because I have found an amazing deal around 500 miles round trip... And I went prepared to bring it back if it looked as good as it was described...
It was and I did.. :smile:KennyV

noodle

Threads
Must have been a doozie of a deal. I do not know if I could justify a long trip to bring a mower back. I am so strapped for time these days it almost sounds painful.