Change deck on CC ZT1 42 to a 50" maybe?

avguytx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Apparently these stamped steel decks on the ZT1 42's are fairly flimsy as I must have hit something that was tougher than it really seemed. Sometime last spring I guess it happened and ever since then, you can't balance the deck where it mows "straight". It literally looks like one spindle is at a different angle than the other and I have marked them on the inside, and beat the living hades out of it trying to straighten it in any way. But that hasn't worked. I really should have bought the larger 54" when I got this back in summer of 2020 as I have a tad under an acre (not all covered with grass) but stupid me thought the 42" would be fine. Well, mowing wise, it was decent but deck durability sucks.

So the question is, do I go about trying to find a replacement deck for the 42" or is there a possibility that I could buy all the parts and turn it into a 50" with the more solid deck? Obviously everything is more expensive now in the "new world" we live in post-covid and more overpriced and non-available. Or, does anyone else have any ideas or recommendations? I'm open to anything as I'd rather the yard look better than what it does now when it's mowed and the new season is about to begin.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It very possible you bent the spindle mount. It take a BFH and driving rod to correct it.

As for changing to a larger deck your engine will not have enough HP to run the larger deck; unless, you also upgrade to larger engine.

Last edited:

tgzzzz

Threads
I think a 46" deck will bolt right up.

OkieVet

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you check the frame length on the ZT1 42 and 50 is 82", the ZT1 46 is supposedly 84".
All 3 mowers have a fabricated deck available, the 42 and 46 are 2 blade and both mowers use the same Kohler engine with the same HP rating.
The ZT1 50 has a Kawasaki motor rated a whopping 1 hp more, no torque specs listed, and has a fabricated 3 blade deck.
In the end, grab a tape measure and check the mounting points on the 46" fab deck vs your 42" to make sure it will fit, it likely will but I wouldn't gamble.
I think you'll have less of a hassle with the fab'd 46 in the long run since it looks like it's the same mower as what you have with a couple of extra inches of cut width.