Chain saw only runs with choke plate open; won't idle

SmallEngineRepair

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Chain saw only runs with choke plate open; won't idle
I can only get my Husqvarna 350 to start and run with the choke plate open ( choke button pressed in). It runs really hard and if it idles dies fast. If I pull the choke button out while it's running it dies.

I've tried this with two carbs, the original which I cleaned, as well as a new carb. Both only start and run with the choke plate open. The original carb seems to smoke a bit when running with the choke plate open. Using fresh non ethanol gas/oil mix.

The chainsaw was running a week ago with the original carb, ran it about 30 minutes and it hasn't started right since I turned it off.

Here's a video of me starting it. It runs hard then dies after about 10-20 seconds..

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to make a video, please use a real camera on a stand
Most digital still cameras will do video
Or at the worst, put the camera in a vice, on a pile of books, held steady by a pair of vice grips but please don't hold it in your other hand.

SHB

Threads
You may have an air leak, which is making the mixture too lean. Look for a cracked hose or bad crank seal. Some spray carb cleaner on suspect parts while it’s running, if it dies you found your leak