Carberator Cleaning

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am building a 1/2 scale replica of a John Deere H that I use to own.:thumbsup: I am using an 8hp Briggs & Stratton engine that hasn't ran in about 20 yrs. Cleaned oil off engine and I did mange to get the engine to fire up for a couple of seconds. I need to clean the carb up as I think that is my problem:confused2:. I have seen some youtube videos on cleaning the carb type I have and they keep saying they are using carb cleaner. I have a can of intake cleaner at home and was wondering if this would work. Here are a few picture of the replica.:wink:

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean it with a ultrasonic cleaner. Harbor Freight has a heated for under $100.

Mike88se

Threads
Intake cleaner should be fine if it's what I think it is. Throttle body/intake spray cleaner... sensor safe? I think that would be fine. You could soak the parts in gasoline too. I feel lucky... a dollar store around the corner sells carb cleaner. Beats paying 3-4 bux a can at the auto parts stores. I use a lot of it.

That's a cool project you got there.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The biggest problem I have found on that carburetor is the throttle shaft wears into the carburetor body and leaks vacuum.

mowerman1999

Threads
If you have a compressor its worth blowing it with that but becareful of what you do blow with it as it could damage some parts.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a compressor its worth blowing it with that but becareful of what you do blow with it as it could damage some parts.

Ya I usually set my compressor to blow at 75 psi enough to clean and dry without crazy amounts of air. I disassemble spray carb cleaner in every tiny hole then use spirial tip cleaners everywhere I can another dose of carb cleaner then compressed air. Don't get carb cleaner on gaskets or o rings

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I put the carb in a part washer and got all the grime off the outside.:smile:

I got it mostly disassembled.

I could not get the brass tube out by the bowl.

I cleaned the parts and the carb the best I could with throttle body cleaner and blew it out with air. The needle for the float did not move and I had to remove it with pliers. Everything is moving freely now and the carb is back together. I will put it back on the engine and see if it works.:wink:

The 2 needle valves you use to set up the carb, is there a standard number of turns I can start with and once the engine is running adjust them to smooth the engine out?:confused2: Any information would be great.:smile:

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
The biggest problem I have found on that carburetor is the throttle shaft wears into the carburetor body and leaks vacuum.

I found a little side play but there doesn't seem to be any shaft wear.:cool: