Can't get the governor to set ? Simplicity Cobalt Zero Turn

rjh1

Threads
  • / Can't get the governor to set ? Simplicity Cobalt Zero Turn
Puzzled ?? Can't seem to get the governor to set on a Simplicity cobalt zero turn with a 27 hp Kohler. Nor can i get the throttle cable adjusted correctly.. I watched the video's on setting , hold throttle lever to full and turn the shaft in the same direction . It's not working , I'll start it and it goes W F O .. hit the key quick and turn it off .. I'm at a loss could use some help .. . .. . When I do get it close it has no power under load - with blades on. it's like the governor isn't kicking in ? This probably should be in the Kohler area , Sorry.. Thanks

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Puzzled ?? Can't seem to get the governor to set on a Simplicity cobalt zero turn with a 27 hp Kohler. Nor can i get the throttle cable adjusted correctly.. I watched the video's on setting , hold throttle lever to full and turn the shaft in the same direction . It's not working , I'll start it and it goes W F O .. hit the key quick and turn it off .. I'm at a loss could use some help .. . .. . When I do get it close it has no power under load - with blades on. it's like the governor isn't kicking in ? This probably should be in the Kohler area , Sorry.. Thanks
If in fact you have set the governor correctly for your engine, and when you hold the throttle linkage, and it is not fighting back, it is possible that the governor gear is internally damaged. Which of course requires removing the engine, opening up the engine, and removing and replacing the governor assembly.

rjh1

Threads
That is exactly what I was hoping it wasn't . Now There is no label or decal on this engine, to be certain which it is? From pictures I see on the net it resembles a cv series? Like a 23 25 27 .... Million dollar question - do the cv series use the same governor ?? Or how do I determine what series I have ? Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take pictures of every side on the engine. Anything with letters or numbers, get a shot of. Post them up here. On the ENGINE only. Not on the mower. Mower has numbers, engine has it's own numbers. Numbers might be covered up in an oily dirty mummy wrap goo. Make sure the block and cooling fins are clean. Look way up under anything you can't see straight on.

rjh1

Threads
Take pictures of every side on the engine. Anything with letters or numbers, get a shot of. Post them up here. On the ENGINE only. Not on the mower. Mower has numbers, engine has it's own numbers. Numbers might be covered up in an oily dirty mummy wrap goo. Make sure the block and cooling fins are clean. Look way up under anything you can't see straight on.

rjh1

Threads
Did a compression check this morning , , not a good out come , , , facing the engine -- left cylinder is 100 psi - - - right cylinder is 140 psi - - - so will this unbalance from side to side effect the way the governor operates ? this engine has 332 hours on it.. thanks

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Were you having an issuse with it to try and set the gov to start with? Setting the gov is very percise and not much room to play with if it is set wrong it will blow the gov inside the engine and you will have to replace it.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is exactly what I was hoping it wasn't . Now There is no label or decal on this engine, to be certain which it is? From pictures I see on the net it resembles a cv series? Like a 23 25 27 .... Million dollar question - do the cv series use the same governor ?? Or how do I determine what series I have ? Thanks
All governors set the same way. Wide open throttle and turn the the shaft in the same direction.

Chipg1956

Threads
I have seen several Kohler Governors that have broken the internal (plastic) gear. If this has happened to yours, you have a big job ahead of you. If you have limited experience you may find it easier to look for a used engine or even a old tractor that has a good engine. Generally you can "probably" use any engine of similar hp as long as it has the same size crankshaft. Now as far as the governor goes, lots of people play with it to solve problems that actually have NOTHING to do with the governor, surging for instance. Except for a broken or stretched spring there is literally NEVER a legitimate reason to mess with it. I recently worked on a Kohler V-twin where the original owner took apart the throttle/ governor linkage and the installed the bracket upside down, putting it back together properly was a horror show. If you do not have lots of experience with the exact engine model you are working on, use your cell phoneAand take lots of pictures to be certain you are putting it back together properly. Again I stress that there is a 99.5% percent chance that there is never a reason to mess with your governor something else, probably the carb that is causing the problem.

Last edited:

rjh1

Threads
I have seen several Kohler Governors that have broken the internal (plastic) gear. If this has happened to yours, you have a big job ahead of you. If you have limited experience you may find it easier to look for a used engine or even a old tractor that has a good engine. Generally you can "probably" use any engine of similar hp as long as it has the same size crankshaft. Now as far as the governor goes, lots of people play with it to solve problems that actually have NOTHING to do with the governor, surging for instance. Except for a broken or stretched spring there is literally NEVER a legitimate reason to mess with it. I recently worked on a Kohler V-twin where the original owner took apart the throttle/ governor linkage and the installed the bracket upside down, putting it back together properly was a horror show. If you do not have lots of experience with the exact engine model you are working on, use your cell phoneAand take lots of pictures to be certain you are putting it back together properly. Again I stress that there is a 99.5% percent chance that there is never a reason to mess with your governor something else, probably the carb that is causing the problem.