Can't adjust engine speed on Honda HRB215-K4 SXA MZBA

taongisurvivor

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can't adjust engine speed on Honda HRB215-K4 SXA MZBA
Someone put out a Honda HRB215 on the curb. There were the usual suspects (cracked plastic cutting deck, a couple of bent cables, some miscellaneous screws missing), but generally the thing was mostly there and some parts were actually brand new (carb, grass bag, plug, air cleaner, blades, exhaust heat shield). I bought a new cutting deck and a transmission cable, switched over all the parts, and she cranked first pull with no smoke. Problem is the throttle linkage makes no sense and she has run-away RMPs. Mostly, the governor lever has two springs (long skinny upper spring and a shorter stouter lower spring). On this one, the lower spring prevails and forces the governor lever wide open. I have taken some pics of the linkage settings. Something is not right and I can't seem to get the adjustments correct with the current spring placement and cable adjustment. See the pics.

Is there anyone out there with a similar mower who will post some pics of the linkage settings in the stop, slow, fast, and choke settings??

Attachments

• Christine Mower 4.jpg
    Christine Mower 4.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Christine Mower 2.jpg
    Christine Mower 2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Christine Mower 3.jpg
    Christine Mower 3.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Christine Mower 1.jpg
    Christine Mower 1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 23

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i would try adjusting the governor, if that doesn't work the governor gear is toast inside the engine.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

RABJR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Assuming you adjusted the governor, the lower spring should be in the middle hole. Try that. If that doesn't yield any results, move it down to the third hold. In case you don't know how to adjust the governor, loosen the pinch bolt, move the arm as far to the right as it'll go, and turn the adjuster fully clockwise as far as it'll go. Tighten the nut while holding the arm and adjuster in their correct positions.

taongisurvivor

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem was with the governor adjustment. I had to set it 5-6 times to finally get the RPMs close, and even after all of that they are still a bit low. However, thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction. It's a fine machine and should last another 30 years.