Can you help me figure out what is going on here?

vislaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
We built our house two years ago here in the Kansas City area. After a recent snowfall a hole in our front lawn appeared (see pictures) and a couple times water has flowed out of it irregularly, leading me to think a drainage pipe has broken -- not a broken sprinkler run. There is no odor or foul smell. I've reached out to my builder but he hasn't gotten back to me. I'm hoping one of you mavens can diagnose what is going on here before I take a shovel to my lawn....

Thank you in advance.
Lawn01.JPG
Lawn02.JPG

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Call your city or county public works dept. & ask them to send an engineer out to troubleshoot problem, this should be of no cost to you. Let us know what gives. Thanks, Mark

vislaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Call your city or county public works dept. & ask them to send an engineer out to troubleshoot problem, this should be of no cost to you. Let us know what gives. Thanks, Mark
Thanks so much for that suggestion. Great advice which I shall follow! EDIT: Just called and they asked me to send photos. I'll report what transpires from here.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Threads
Do you have a sump pump? Do your downspouts drain on top of the ground or underground? Broken sewer line will flow clear most of the time and not smell. Watch for toilet paper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Was there a tree there before your house was built ?
Builders short cut by chopping them off at ground level then covering them over with a roll of turf.
The remaining roots will collect water and deliver it to the old trunk site.

Same story with an existing house & demolition where an old rusty Iron water pipe is not fully removed.

vislaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have a sump pump? Do your downspouts drain on top of the ground or underground? Broken sewer line will flow clear most of the time and not smell. Watch for toilet paper.
In fact, my downspout closest to this issue does drain underground and if I draw a line from it to the curbside drain it goes right through the hole (See below):

Pic02.JPG

This is all new to me but I assume maybe the drain got clogged or broken so that it is draining up into my yard? If so, what's the best approach to fix this? Suggestions welcome!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that paints a different story.
Most likely that is where the pipes join and has come apart.
What you do will depend upon the rules where you ware regarding warranty.

Hammermechanicman

Threads
No trees so not clooged with roots. If the builder was lazy and used perf pipe it could have silted in and clogged but 2 years is pretty short. Time for a shovel and a flashlight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Doubt that he fitted a perforated pipe but it very well could be 2 or even 3 short lengths joined together.
And in your case, no longer joined.
So yes it is shovel time

tom3

Threads
The sediment around the hole looks strange. Looks like some real old sewer that's backed up. Was there a house in that location before yours was built?