Briggs & Stratton

Mickey

Forum Newbie
Threads
When did B&S stop using points and condensors in their small single cylinder engines?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I 2nd that as I remember converting personal mowers before I finished and started working at the salt mines back in 1979.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Atom industries invented the Hall Effect Trigger for small engines back in 1962 and Husqvarna , Stihl & Victa inroduced it into some of their engines the following year.
No other engine maker would pay the 20¢ royalty per unit nor buy developement rights but just waited till the patients expired ,
Back then Australian patients ran for different times in different places ranging from 15 years locally to 30 years in third world countries.
So B & S did not intorduce their reverse engineered copy of the atom called the magnetron ignition till 1977
Atom continued to make their Briggs & Stratton ( brown ) points replacement kit till 2000 .
All of the others were dropped in 1995

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I recall correctly it was around 1983.
Actually it was 1982 with the introduction of the magnetron. Got that straight from the The legacy of Briggs and Stratton book that I have. Which gives the full history of the company

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IL, thank you for teaching the teacher. I remember having to attend Briggs update school on this, but thought it was earlier.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So USA recognition of Aust patients must have been 20 years.
I would have sworn it was only 15 , the same as it is now under the current USA/Aust "free trade" deal.
So we must have given up a little more that I thought.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
IL, thank you for teaching the teacher. I remember having to attend Briggs update school on this, but thought it was earlier.
Depending on time frame it could of been officially introduced on the 1983 engine year engines, Which of been fall winter 1982 for the update school. I was actually thinking it was 1983 myself until I grabbed the book off the shelf.