Briggs & Stratton 22hp TWIN CLY. BOGS DOWN

Nator52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs & Stratton 22hp TWIN CLY. BOGS DOWN when loaded, the governor does not speed up the engine, I checked all linkage and made sure the springs were attached and reset the governor which was good, any help please

Tinkerer200

Threads
Is it running on both cylinders? Doubt it. Pull one plug wire and see if it starts OK, if it does replace that one and remove the other, try starting. IF it does not start on one of the cylinders, remove valve cover of that cylinder and check the push rods, are they in place? Reply back.
Walt Conner

Nator52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks you are right, the left cly. is not getting fire, spark plugs are good, what should I check next, the push rods are good it set them all of them at .005"

Tinkerer200

Threads
Most likely it is a bad diode in the Kill Wire circuit. You can check by disconnecting both kill wires from the connection on each individual coil. If both have spark now, that is the problem. Be aware that if you start the engine, you will need a different way of stopping it, rely on carb solenoid to shut off gas, pinch fuel line or short plugs. Do not run engine with cooling shroud off for more than a few seconds and also beware of hazard doing that. Some people replace just the diode themselves but most buy the complete harness.

Walt Conner

Nator52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where would the diode be located, could it also be the coil?

Tinkerer200

Threads
It could be the coil however B&S coils are very reliable and the odds are a diode as I said. The test I told you will tell. The diode is located in the wiring harness leading from the coils to the terminal connecting wire to the ignition switch. Why don't you just do the test?

Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you haven't already removed the engine shroud it can be a mouse chewed in two plug wire. These are replaceable if you know how but most techs don't take the time to do it. But as Walt said unplug both kill wire and test start the engine checking for spark on both cylinders.

Nator52

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could be the coil however B&S coils are very reliable and the odds are a diode as I said. The test I told you will tell. The diode is located in the wiring harness leading from the coils to the terminal connecting wire to the ignition switch. Why don't you just do the test?

Walt Conner
Thanks again for your help, I disconnected the kill switch and both cylinders are firing and running great. guess I need a new diode harness

Tinkerer200

Threads
Wait a minute! IF you did what you said, you did NOT do my test and I do not understand the results you got. That does no indicate bad Kill Hire Harness unless there was a bad connection to diode and you moving Kill Wire harness made temp connection. I said disconnect Kill Wire from EACH coil, not from switch. Explain further.
Walt Conner