Briggs pistons, chrome plated vs plain, visible difference?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs pistons, chrome plated vs plain, visible difference?
Had several (4 or 5) B&S motors torn down in the last couple years with the cylinder and piston skirts just destroyed. The top 1/2" of the bore where the actual piston doesn't ride is still decent on these. One new shortblock ran for one season. But I do see old Kool Bore motors worn out that still had normal wear and the piston had some shine as chrome should be. Did Briggs do away with the plated pistons in newer motors? Is it possible to tell if a replacement piston is actually plated or bare? I've looked at a couple that should have been plated and sure didn't look like anything but plain aluminum.

Tinkerer200

Threads
As far as I know the plated pistons were for the aluminum bore engines, Kool Bore, and the un-plated ones for the sleeved engines.
Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds about right Walt. Can't run similar metals against each other. Aluminum on cast iron OK, not aluminum on aluminum.

Mower King

Threads
Had several (4 or 5) B&S motors torn down in the last couple years with the cylinder and piston skirts just destroyed. The top 1/2" of the bore where the actual piston doesn't ride is still decent on these. One new shortblock ran for one season. But I do see old Kool Bore motors worn out that still had normal wear and the piston had some shine as chrome should be. Did Briggs do away with the plated pistons in newer motors? Is it possible to tell if a replacement piston is actually plated or bare? I've looked at a couple that should have been plated and sure didn't look like anything but plain aluminum.
New B&S "chromed" or plated pistons actually have a dull gray looking finish on them...the New B&S un-plated pistons are shiny and look more like polished Alum.