Briggs Lawn Tractor Not Charging

Diggar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman lawn tractor with a 34 HP Platinum Briggs engine. It is model 445677 Type 2188 G1

I just replaced the alternator (stator) and I am getting 25 - 28 volts at the plug while running. If I measure the voltage at the battery I get battery voltage, 12.7 volts. I did not see a regulator and when I bought the part I was told there is no regulator.

The alternator wires plug into a larger connector then the wires go into a harness.

Anyone have any ideas why I am not getting 13-14 volts at the batteryBriggs Alternator.jpg? It starts right up but I know the battery will not last long without charging.

Any help appreciated.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You might at testing the plug wrong in the first place. With one meter on ground (frame or engine's crankcase) test each wire the Red one with the diode lump is the DC circuit for charging the battery. The black lead is the AC side for lighting.

Before you start check the battery standing voltage. Now start the engine and run at full throttle. Testing DC lead should have a voltage above the battery's standing voltage and be climbing a few tenths of a volt as the system charges the battery. This voltage reading should be the same cross the battery terminals. IF you got good at the red lead and not at the battery then there a problem with your wiring.

Diggar

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might at testing the plug wrong in the first place. With one meter on ground (frame or engine's crankcase) test each wire the Red one with the diode lump is the DC circuit for charging the battery. The black lead is the AC side for lighting.

Before you start check the battery standing voltage. Now start the engine and run at full throttle. Testing DC lead should have a voltage above the battery's standing voltage and be climbing a few tenths of a volt as the system charges the battery. This voltage reading should be the same cross the battery terminals. IF you got good at the red lead and not at the battery then there a problem with your wiring.

Seems to fine. I got 13.7 Volts on the red (DC) and 15 volts on the black AC)
Thanks