Briggs intel engine problem

groundsman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a intek engine on my Husqvarna sit on mower. I had a pushrod wear thin and brake. I replaced it and started the engine, at first it though out loads of black smoke from the exhaust and petrol mist out of the carb. I put it on tick over and it ran ok. I increased the revs slowly and it ran ok But not perfect. If I increase the revs quickly the black smoke reappears. I had the carb apart and it’s fine. Anyone had similar problem?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Black smoke indicates a rich running condition. Two things I would be checking. Recheck the valve clearances, as the intake may be staying open too long. Second, would be to check the carb for two things. Is the choke fully opening and have you set the float level properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you get all of the pushrod out of the engine ?
If not they can get munched up in the cam . crank gears and the result is not pretty

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would check if oil level is over full.

Walt Conner

groundsman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Black smoke indicates a rich running condition. Two things I would be checking. Recheck the valve clearances, as the intake may be staying open too long. Second, would be to check the carb for two things. Is the choke fully opening and have you set the float level properly.
Hi
Thanks for your reply . The valve clearance is Very close to what it should me. The choke is completely open. I was unaware that the float level could be altered But I will have a look.
eddie

groundsman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you get all of the pushrod out of the engine ?
If not they can get munched up in the cam . crank gears and the result is not pretty
Thanks for your reply.
The pushrod had worn though near the top so yes al the pushrod has been remove.
eddie

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you replace the head gaskets?

groundsman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you replace the head gaskets?
Hi I hadn’t but I have now taken the head off. There don‘t look a lot wrong with it. So I will repack it and give it a try.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please don’t reuse the head gaskets. They are designed as a one use only and you’ll be headed for more trouble if you try to reuse them.