Briggs and Stratton Generator Help Needed

Berniebac

Threads
I purchased a B & S generator a few years back. I got it after a storm left us without power for a few days. Never used it till this weekend when hurricane Fiona left us without power for about 48 hours. So it had been sitting in the basement for a few years never having been run.

I started the generator and found it running a little rough. The exhaust smelled pretty bad and it seemed like it was running a little rich. I used it off and on for a couple hours at a time and each time I started it a small puff of black smoke came out of it. While it was running I removed the air cleaner cover and thought it ran a little better, I also removed the air filter but did not see any more improvement. Having no experience with it before, I thought it was burning fuel quite quickly, as it ran about 2 1/2 Hrs on 1 US gallon (3.78 liters).

I think it could use a little carb adjustment but have not been able to find any adjustment screws on the carb. I have not taken the plastic covers off of it as I would like to determine if there are even adjustment screws on the carb. Photos of the unit below and what information I can find on the engine/body of the unit.

Unit Info:

Briggs and Stratton
P2200
Mod. REV
030051-00
Year 2018 Jun 2018
Disp 111cc
EXH Family JSEMS.1111SM
EVA Family JSEMPNHE0001
Carberator Make: Huayi

There are numbers on the carb. around the top of the bowl but I can't see them all to include them here. I do not see any numbers for Type, Code, etc but they may be on the engine and I might have to dig a little deeper to find them

I don't know if this is enough info to help me adjust the carb, but if you can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• GenFront.jpg
    GenFront.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 4
  • GenSide.jpg
    GenSide.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 4

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A little information that might help you out.
Briggs model number is 030545-01.
Carb number is 705940.
Carb is non adjustable,
To me it sounds like the unit was stored with old gas in it. If it came to me I would try this, may of may not work. Get a gallon of non ethanol fuel, 92 octane or higher, and run the entire gallon through the unit. I’ve had good luck doing this to clean the carb, if it is nor gummed up to bad. This is my old farts quick type. If this doesn’t work you’ll probably have to remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. If you will be storing this unit for 30+ days I would one store it with a product like Tru-Fuel, which is what I do. I also make sure I run my unit for about 30 minutes every 90 days.

Berniebac

Threads
Thank you Rivets. I appreciate the advice very much. I thought that carb might not have any adjustments, that is disappointing. I will try what you advise.

shurguywutt

Threads
Good advice. My late 90s briggs genny still runs like a champ. I like to mix a tuna can full of rec90 (non ethanol) pump fuel with some marine grade (tcw-3) ashless 2 stroke oil (1 oz or so) through the tank every 3-6 months under load for about 10-15 minutes. Never had any issue doing this. The Rec fuel is great for small engine fuel systems and long term storage applications.

When I am going to be running my machines weekly, I mostly use reg87 then alternate to rec.

Berniebac

Threads
Good advice. My late 90s briggs genny still runs like a champ. I like to mix a tuna can full of rec90 (non ethanol) pump fuel with some marine grade (tcw-3) ashless 2 stroke oil (1 oz or so) through the tank every 3-6 months under load for about 10-15 minutes. Never had any issue doing this. The Rec fuel is great for small engine fuel systems and long term storage applications.

When I am going to be running my machines weekly, I mostly use reg87 then alternate to rec.

Not sure I know what Rec fuel is and I have never heard of it being available here. The TCW 3 method sounds interesting but I never would have thought of running it thru an engine that takes straight gas. These approaches would not help clean the carb but would be intended for maintenance purposes I take it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double check your model as it appears to be 030651-00 in of 030051-00. As usual with Generac made generators the carburetor parts are available just a complete carburetor. So you would need PN 311392GS (carburetor); unless, a simple cleaning can be done.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would drain the gas and use fresh gas. Old gas does what you describe.

DaveTN

Threads
Not sure I know what Rec fuel is and I have never heard of it being available here. The TCW 3 method sounds interesting but I never would have thought of running it thru an engine that takes straight gas. These approaches would not help clean the carb but would be intended for maintenance purposes I take it.
I don't know what Rec fuel is either. I have poured regular oil down in the piston hole and turn it by hand before
winter storage just to keep the rings lubed. Who cares if it smokes on start up? Fuel Stabilizer or Drain it? I've
done both over the years.

DaveTN

Threads
Wouldn't hurt to run some Sea Foam through it and things might clear up.

shurguywutt

Threads
Rec fuel is just non-ethanol pump fuel you can get at the gas station