Briggs and Stratton ELS 26 hp

Tim1939

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower has 120 hours and has not had any problems until now using oil to the point not on dip stick after a hour or so running. Not smoking at all and no leaks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What do the plugs look like? What are the model numbers?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
It possibly is a 44P777-0115E. Mine lasted 472 hours and although was still running when I replaced it, the compression in #1 cylinder( starter motor side) was decreasing rapidly. A leakdown test showed that compression was leaking by the rings. At idle the engine would "sneeze" back thru the carb and stumble. During this period of decreasing compression, both oil and fuel consumption increased noticeably. I never did notice any smoke from the exhaust, but it is difficult to see with the configuration of the machine while in operation. #1 plug appeared normal, #2 plug was sooting up as I was leaving the choke on longer during cold starts as the engine was stumbling. I suspected an intake leak on #1 cylinder as I had done the propane test around the intake and carb. I had replaced the intake manifold, but no improvement.
I had wanted to repower with a Kawasaki FX730V, but when I priced out everything it was over $2,200. I did repower with a Briggs 49M977-1036-G5 30 HP engine with Cyclonic Air filtration. This engine was $845 delivered to my home and I was able to use the old muffler and cables. I have about 55 hours on the new Briggs and I'm pleased with it's performance. Hopefully the Briggs Commercial Turf Series engines will last longer than the ELS Series engines. I am using Briggs SAE 30 engine oil in the new engine, but I'll continue to use 5W-30 full synthetic in my Briggs Vanguards and Inteks.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mackie, Don't see much discussion about Briggs commercial engines. Tell us more please.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mackie, Don't see much discussion about Briggs commercial engines. Tell us more please.

Hi motorman and group,
Briggs had many problems with their Intek and ELS twins and knew that they had to do something about it particularly on ZTRs. The emissions label on Briggs engines shows an hour amount during which the engine is designed to remain compliant. Most Intek and ELS twins have a 250 hour or less of compliance indicated on the labels. It is my opinion that the hours indicated on the emissions labels are a good indicator of the life of the engine.
The new Briggs 30HP Commercial Turf Series engine that I repowered my Scag Tiger Cub with has a 1,000 hour emissions compliance label. To me this indicates that the Commercial Turf/Professional Series engines have been designed to provide a much longer life.
The blower housing is much larger providing more cooling airflow, an oil cooler has been installed as standard equipment, the Cyclonic Air Filtration System is a great improvement over the former system, the intake manifold is cast aluminum whereas it is plastic on the Intek/ELS engines. There are access covers above each cylinder which make it easier to inspect and clean the cooling fins if necessary. I noticed a reduction in fuel consumption on the 30 HP engine at about 20 hours of operation as compared to the 26 HP ELS engine. The new engine now has 55 hours on it and I am pleased with its overall performance. I did replace the air filter at 40 hours, but I use a collection system about 90% of the time and the collection bags hang just inches from the engine. On the ELS engine I was replacing air filters at 12-18 hour intervals. The Cyclonic Air Filtration System takes in both cooling and combustion air thru the debris screen on the flywheel, spins away the larger pieces of dirt and the combustion air circles around the air filter housing before entering the filter further cleans the incoming air.
So far I'm pleased with this engine which is a 49M977. Briggs offers several lower HP models but the only model available last March was the 30 HP model and I like the increase in HP.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
More info about the Briggs commercial Turf Series engines.
These engines are an easy repower for machines that have Inteks or ELS twins as the control cables will lineup easily, the fuel line is in the same position and the engine electrical harness is the standard 6 pin that Briggs has used for years. Briggs has put a faster turning starter motor on these engines which I noticed on the first startup. The muffler from the old engine fit directly onto the new engine and gaskets and bolts were provided with the new engine package. Briggs redesigned both the throttle/governor linkage and the choke linkage. They only need about 2/3rds of the amount of throw from idle to full or full choke to open. I did receive a Briggs service letter from the engine distributor (Equipatron) suggesting that I remove the throttle and choke linkages from the old engine and install them on the new engine. I didn't do this but I did install a stop plate on the throttle control which limited its throw. I left the choke lever in original state and full choke is about 2/3rds of the throw and full open is at the normal position.
Not all crankshaft sizes are available, so if you are considering a repower, you need to know the crankshaft diameter and length of your original engine. The overall height of the engine is about 3" higher than Inteks and ELS engines due to the increase in blower housing size and this may be a consideration on machines with a hood over the engine.
The old engine had 472 hours on it and I gave it to a friend in the power equipment business as he can use it for parts.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
MadMackie, Thanks for the information, one of the best I've seen in this forum and very interesting to me. I have never been able to figure how/why Briggs seems to go along quietly while people bash away. They should advertise their improvements. Until now I assumed the only changes to their engines was the badge on the cowl. Interesting also your correlation of emissions testing and engine longevity. My intek hour meter stopped 2 seasons ago but I believe I'm beyond 500 hours, babied to death with oil cooling etc. Briggs still only relies on air ? That engine is never seen on big box riders? Thanks again. motoman

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi motorman and group,
Briggs produces a tremendous amount of engines every year, more than some other manufacturers combined.
All small engine manufacturers have had to deal with E10 gasoline the use of which has produced some negative effects to small engines such as higher combustion chamber temperatures as the ethanol burns at a different time and temperature starting in the compression cycle and into the combustion/power cycle. This plus the corrosion and fuel hose problems added to storage problems that come along from use of this gasoline.
Here in CT we have been getting some imported gasoline the octane rating of which is questionable and can be as low as 82-83, then ethanol is blended with it which further reduces the octane rating, however it gets sold as 87 with 10% ethanol.
I'm going to bring my Scag Tiger Cub into my shop today to clean the deck and do a 50/100/200 hour service on it. I get very dirty cleaning the deck as I do it while standing in my pit under the deck. I'm also going to change the hydraulic oil filter. I remove the blades so I don't get my hands cut up while scraping the crud from the deck, I'll probably sharpen the blades while I'm at it.
Later

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
MadMackie, Please tell us more about your background. Love to see your pit. Thought ethanol is an octane enhancer, despit its bad characteristics? Just read BS controls 80% of small engine markets. That is impressive and perhaps why big box engine complaints are only noise level. But BS should be careful. Look what happened to Detroit. motoman

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tim, Sorry realized the thread was jacked. How's it going?