Briggs and stratton 24 HP V Twin over revving

semimechanicman

Threads
I have a v twin briggs 24 hp runs good but it sounds like it over revs when throttle cable is put all the way up. I’ve tried to adjust the cable but if i try to lower the maximum speed of the engine. The choke will no longer work properly. Any help is appreciated.

Model: 44R677

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
there are some tachometer applications for a smart phone if you don't have a tach that you can use on that engine. Check the speed against the specs for the engine. Most likely when these engines over rev it is the engine governor that is failing to hold it back. These small engines usually run wide open at full throttle, and their governor pulls them back to the specified speed. When the governor fails, there is nothing holding them back.

semimechanicman

Threads
there are some tachometer applications for a smart phone if you don't have a tach that you can use on that engine. Check the speed against the specs for the engine. Most likely when these engines over rev it is the engine governor that is failing to hold it back. These small engines usually run wide open at full throttle, and their governor pulls them back to the specified speed. When the governor fails, there is nothing holding them back.
I will do that but it idles fine and when it’s half way throttle it runs pretty fast already

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Over reving is always a governor failure .
So start with a static governor adjustment and make sure the pinch bolt is tight

semimechanicman

Threads
Over reving is always a governor failure .
So start with a static governor adjustment and make sure the pinch bolt is tight
it over revs when i put the throttle all the way up, it idles fine on low throttle and medium throttle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The position of the throttle control that you move sets the maximum amount the butterfly can open
So at 1/2 throttle, it can be anywhere from the idle stop to 1/2 open so the effect of the governor is minimal.
At normal running speeds the throttle butterfly should only be open about 1/2 to 2/3 but the throttle control that you move will allow it to open all the way so when there is a heavy load the engine can get more fuel to counter the load.
So in your case the governor is not working and allowing the throttle butterfly to remain fully open which will cause the engine to self destruct

semimechanicman

Threads
The position of the throttle control that you move sets the maximum amount the butterfly can open
So at 1/2 throttle, it can be anywhere from the idle stop to 1/2 open so the effect of the governor is minimal.
At normal running speeds the throttle butterfly should only be open about 1/2 to 2/3 but the throttle control that you move will allow it to open all the way so when there is a heavy load the engine can get more fuel to counter the load.
So in your case the governor is not working and allowing the throttle butterfly to remain fully open which will cause the engine to self destruct
apparently it was the muffler guard causing it to rattle like crazy and somehow make it sound really loud. I removed it and now it runs really good.