Briggs 725exi

jtetterton

Forum Newbie
Threads
Working on a Briggs 725exi on a husqvarna mower. It’s about 4 years old and has treated me pretty well until lately.

It seems to have a really low rpm idle and bogs down easily. It starts and runs. I’ve removed the carb and checked that out, everything seems good. New spark plug. What I can figure out is what controls the throttle. There is a linkage that goes to the rear of the mower and connects to a shaft that goes down into the engine right around where the nail cable connects. With the air cleaner and plastics off and the engine idling I can see the throttle moving by itself. With the throttle all the way open it just doesn’t seem to be running at proper rpm. Could the jets inside the carb be clogged and not letting enough fuel pass?

Thanks for any help.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The arm and linkage that moves the throttle plate is part of the governor. The throttle cable is not connected to the carburetor. It puts a preload against the governor spring and the governor controls engine speed.

For idle speed, there should be an adjusting screw on the throttle shaft. Turn it clockwise to increase idle speed.

jtetterton

Forum Newbie
Threads
The arm and linkage that moves the throttle plate is part of the governor. The throttle cable is not connected to the carburetor. It puts a preload against the governor spring and the governor controls engine speed.

For idle speed, there should be an adjusting screw on the throttle shaft. Turn it clockwise to increase idle speed.

Thanks, when you say the throttle shaft, is the the shaft that goes down into the engine at the rear where the bail ca me connects? That shaft looks like I could put a 4 or 5 mm on it. But I don’t see any adjustment screws anywhere. Any chance you have a diagram or photo?

You also said the “throttle cable” doesn’t connect to the carb. This mower doesn’t have a user adjustable throttle. Just so we’re on the same page, what I'm calling the throttle is the little plastic piece on the top of the carb, closest to the point where the carb connects to the engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
This video is not your engine but has the same operating principle as your engine. Explains the different controls and how they are connected and operate. I suspect your problem has to do with the governor spring, or more specifically what parts it is connected to. Sometimes sticks and other things can get jammed up into that area effecting the governor spring tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nCtCMuz21A

lawnhowto

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a L shaped bracket located on the engine (gas tank side). May need to tip the mower up a little to see it . The governor spring attaches to it. Bend it toward the front of the mower to increase rpms( back to decrease rpms)

Attachments

• 20210904_15432011.jpg
    20210904_15432011.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 5

chuckpen

Threads
Briggs 725exi have a plastic cam lob setup and break. you may need a cam.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When is everyone going to learn to post their equipment numbers instead just the series numbers? Personally I can't look-up equipment base on the series numbers as too many options to assume.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When is everyone going to learn to post their equipment numbers instead just the series numbers? Personally I can't look-up equipment base on the series numbers as too many options to assume.
No crystal ball? C'mon man.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No crystal ball? C'mon man.
Heck I dropped it yesterday as fell down a flight of stairs due a change in my BP meds. I went from 180/110 to 80/40. It back up this morning as reduced meds to 1/4 strength the last two days. Now it is 129/77 so back to 1/2 pill. Boy I hate it as it take time for me figure where I should be meds wise. I lost nearly 20lbs since last January and the doctor refused to change my meds until last week. Now it is nearly impossible to work again. Just keep stumbling all over the place.

And on top of that rolling blackouts. Halfway thru the inventory and now the barcode scanner got to be recharged.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am on BP meds. I have to be careful not to bend over then stand up to fast. Not fun as you know.