Briggs 5.0 Horizontal Shaft

Butch1957

Threads
I have a Briggs Horizontal Shaft 5.0 engine / Tiller ( model : 130202 ). Engine keeps sheering the flywheel key. Clutch secured tightly.
Keeps sheering flywheel key when started and suddenly stops afterwards. Flywheel replaced with another used one and still have the same issues.
Any Ideas / input ?
Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sometimes the flywheel key slot can get damaged over time due to shearing. Also the other causes are the clutch not torqued to spec or in some cases I have seen the washer between the flywheel and clutch crack, or the older versions had a cupped washer and if turned upside down would cause issue. But I think the replacement washer is now flat.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The key is just a locator. It does not lock the flywheel to the crank. Something is loose on the crankshaft. Either the flywheel is not torqued properly or something on the PTO side is loose. If the taper on the crank or flywheel is damaged that can cause the flywheel to not lock onto the crankshaft taper also. Do you have the tool to install the clutch? Or using a pipe wrench on the clutch?

Butch1957

Threads
The key is just a locator. It does not lock the flywheel to the crank. Something is loose on the crankshaft. Either the flywheel is not torqued properly or something on the PTO side is loose. If the taper on the crank or flywheel is damaged that can cause the flywheel to not lock onto the crankshaft taper also. Do you have the tool to install the clutch? Or using a pipe wrench on the clutch?
I use a cresent wrench on the clutch while holding the flywheel in place with a tire tool. since the clutch ratchets I use the power of the clutch to tighten down the clutch on top of the flywheel. Never had an issues but there is also a first time. Flywheel seems to be okay but I changed it out with a good used one.

Butch1957

Threads
Sometimes the flywheel key slot can get damaged over time due to shearing. Also the other causes are the clutch not torqued to spec or in some cases I have seen the washer between the flywheel and clutch crack, or the older versions had a cupped washer and if turned upside down would cause issue. But I think the replacement washer is now flat.
I use a cresent wrench on the clutch while holding the flywheel in place with a tire tool. since the clutch ratchets I use the power of the clutch to tighten down the clutch on top of the flywheel. Never had an issues but there is also a first time. Flywheel seems to be okay but I changed it out with a good used one.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you don't have the clutch tool you can put 2 screws in the ears to hold the sheet metal cover from coming off and use a pipe wrench to torque down the clutch. Be sure to clean both tapers with something like brake cleaner.

Butch1957

Threads
I use a Pipe Wrench and hand torque it until a point that I think is snug enough.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I just love it when techs guess at 55 ft-lbs. Risks not tightening enough or over tightening damaging the taper in the flywheel.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just think about the torque value, and when i reach it my elbow clicks. :LOL:
Sounds like the AVE method. I have never put a torque wrench on a flywheel nut or clutch. Put on at least 150. Have to admit i did break a Toro flywheel when i was in high school from over torquing. Other than that never had a problem. Just lucky i guess.