Briggs 330000 Vert: Upgrading muffler to lower noise, worth it?

Florida

Threads
  • / Briggs 330000 Vert: Upgrading muffler to lower noise, worth it?
33R877-002-C1 170227ZD
Craftsman 917255830 (t2500)
Example pics of the system, also marked approx where the crack is in #3

Few months ago my father had the front wheel come off thanks to the axle E-Clip popping off.
Front end dipped and appears to have cracked top of muffler.
Luckily the exhaust pipe wasnt damaged because on the t2500 the pipe isn't attached to the muff, it just sits inside hole on top of muff.
Left it alone for a while because mower still operated like normal, crack isn't that wide and is along the muffler's top bracket.
It's louder than usual, but even stock this thing was loud enough for me to want to go safety sally with the ear pro.

I was planning to spend a few bucks and have a shop weld the crack but I always wondered if there was a realistic way to lower the noise of this type of motor to 85dB or lower without having to spend more than ~$50?
I've searched online and it looks like there is a lot of well meaning misinformation out there on the topic.
Figured i'd ask you fellas and see if anyone has knowledge on the subject.
Cheers

Attachments

• exhaust_1.jpg
    exhaust_1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 8
  • exhaust_2.jpg
    exhaust_2.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 8
  • exhaust_3.jpg
    exhaust_3.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 8

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not wanting to spend much is the reason your mower has a $30 muffler on it now.

Boy isn't Searspartdirect proud of those Poodle Rings. Here I am selling them 1.10 ea. Maybe I need to raise my prices and holdup my customers via invoices.
1626178359759.png

Florida

Threads
Good point haha, was worried that may be the case. Not sure if I can justify $100+ on exhaust at the moment. Will try to get it welded or just hammer it flat and try to put patch over crack.

I was kinda surprised when I seen it used a clip instead of a nut/bolt. Maybe the clips are sound from an engineering perspective but judging by the tire falling off i'm not too sure.
Kinda worrying thinking about what would happen if it fell off while going down an incline in the terrain.

I was also was shocked at the sears clip price when I seen it. Ended up using after market clip that came with wheel bearing upgrade kit. Thinking about buying a quality clip from mcmaster because amazon chinesium clip holding the tire on seems like it could end badly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can wire weld the area, just be careful of burn through due to internal metal being thinned by the exhaust over the years.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not wanting to spend much is the reason your mower has a $30 muffler on it now.

Boy isn't Searspartdirect proud of those Poodle Rings. Here I am selling them 1.10 ea. Maybe I need to raise my prices and holdup my customers via invoices.
View attachment 57411
Price gouging in view of the public. Funny thing is people keep paying it. Stop buying it and the prices will fall.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My opinion, total waste of time and money. You should be wearing ear protection anyway. And eyes and feet..... Leave the shower shoes in the wife's closet when mowing.

slomo