Briggs 19.0 HP single cylinder slight popping noise

semimechanicman

Threads
I have a craftsman with a Briggs 19 hp and recently switched out the carb, yes it’s a new Chinese carb. But when I turn it on it makes a small popping/misfire here and there when it runs. There is also an adjustment screw on the side of the carb new carb (which I believe it controls how much air goes in) but I don’t really know how it works. The sound just annoys me and if anyone knows what the problem could be. Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you can post a video that would be helpful, upload to youtube etc and post the link here.
seems some carbs have the adjustment screw and some don't,
Generally the way i adjust carbs (if i cant find a factory procedure) is to adjust that screw until i reach the highest idle, then adjust the RPM on the throttle shaft screw (big phillips head)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nowhere near enough information to provide any useful solutions
Lets start with the model type & serial numbers found stamped into the blower housing near the spark plug, rocker cover or on a tag riveted to the blower housing .
Next the exact popping needs to be much better described

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is either 420000 series opposed twin or a 310000 series OHV single cylinder.You will probably find it is an intake manifold air leak if it is the OHV engine. I had one recently that would what I called random sneezing where it backfire through the carburetor. Especially bad at idle. It turned out to be one of the square cut o-rings on the manifold next to the cylinder head was not sealing fully.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads

Briggs 19.0 HP single cylinder slight popping noise​

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It could be running just a slight bit lean. Try pulling the choke out a little at a time to see if it quits.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

Briggs 19.0 HP single cylinder slight popping noise​

Sorry I didn't read the header fully. dealing with blood pressure induced headaches caused by doctor changing my meds and refusing to re-instate the ones that were working. It down from this morning high of 192/114 but it is still at 165/112. Seeing double right now so I hope I am not typing double.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry I didn't read the header fully. dealing with blood pressure induced headaches caused by doctor changing my meds and refusing to re-instate the ones that were working. It down from this morning high of 192/114 but it is still at 165/112. Seeing double right now so I hope I am not typing double.
Sorry your BP is high hope U get it under control. Yea I do that at times myself and them look back and think what a dummy.

semimechanicman

Threads
Nowhere near enough information to provide any useful solutions
Lets start with the model type & serial numbers found stamped into the blower housing near the spark plug, rocker cover or on a tag riveted to the blower housing .
Next the exact popping needs to be much better described
If you can post a video that would be helpful, upload to youtube etc and post the link here.
Generally the way i adjust carbs (if i cant find a factory procedure) is to adjust that screw until i reach the highest idle, then adjust the RPM on the throttle shaft screw (big phillips head)
Here is a video hope it helps. The popping is very slight but i just want to fix it. https://streamable.com/ckg6aa

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turn the idle mixture screw out until it starts to run rich then in until it starts to falter then turn half way between the two. Adjusting it like you said could make it idle fast but still be too lean. If pulling the choke out a little at a time makes the popping go away you could try turning the idle mixture screw out a little at time and see if that makes it go away as well. Then bring it back to idle and see if it idles ok. Slight popping and surging is most often caused by a lean condition in the idle circuit.