Breaks not locking

techcoast

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, long story short, my mechanic didn't want to service mower anymore and brought back my rig partially disassembled. He fixed the bent push-rod and mounted the motor and the rest I had to figure out. SO. I did a small service, new plugs, filters and charged the battery after 7 months of sitting.Now it fires up (with a slight backfire.. I'm thinking old gas..) BUT, to my real question, my brakes no longer lock at the end of the long push that set, what I can only guess, is a parking break? How would you troubleshoot this? I watched a few videos on repairing / replacing brakes, but nothing for my mower specifically and I can't find anything that talks about the aspect of the break that I need. This is my first rider mower so this is all new territory for me. YTF24V48 Husqvarna. Any ideas??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is likely to be a long & complicated thread so before we start, go to Husqvana and download the parts manual for your mower
Thus we can then talk about rod 14 or spring 25 and everyone will know what we are talking about.
There is no technical or service manual published for your mower
AFAIK Husqvarna play secret squirrel so unless you are a dealer & go to the training seminars you are on your own.

techcoast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good times. I've downloaded the manual.

I'm not seeing the rod or spring you specified, but these are what are listed in that general vicinity. And so it begins lol.

manaul-2.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for that.
Item 167 latches onto the plate on rod 64 to hold the brake on.
usually there is a spring in there but I don't see one listed
All of this happens at or just under the floor level behind the dash so it ain't easy to get to
Depending upon your model you will either have to remove the battery or the fuel tank to get clean access , unless you have some one in the families past with the surname Dracular so hanging from the roof rafters is second nature :devilish:
This set up look to be totally gravity so you have to press the brake all the way to the stop then pull the latch up, hold it up while letting the brake off so it can lock

techcoast

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haha! I'd have to have some bloody margaritas for that guy for sure to have him help. In any event, you are right. The brake sets when it's fully depressed and then push it back a little to release. I'm just trying to figure out why it's not locking when I depressed the brake fully. I need to drop the deck for maintenance and blade replacement anyway, I'll see if I can get a better view of the bits you're referring to.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to the right of the dotted line under bolt # 171 you will see a funny looking rectangular hole in the floor plate.
That is where the brake lock resides.
The partial flange on the brake pedal rod # 64 moves through that slot as does the latch rod # 36
The funny looking oval shapes left & right of that plate is where the dash tower bolts onto the frame.
IF you go to the page with the frame on it you will see a funny shape hole in the front of the rear fender
That sits over the top of both of the holes in the floor plate so where the brake latch goes there is double layer
According to that Mexican know it all Manuel you have the gravity fuel tank behind the dash .
You will find it a whole lot easier to work there if you pull the tank out first.
Depending upon which size tank you have , you might need to remove the blower housing to get the tank out.
Sounds a bit like Dear Henry's bucket with a hole dosen't it
Arm yourself with a can of spray grease ( not WD 40 ) and while you are down there give the steering bush a a good squirt and any thing else that moves.

techcoast

Forum Newbie
Threads
<--idiot. Okay, so the problem was user error. I forgot about the lever. Thanks for the help.