Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?

adp1223

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?
So, I bought a HRX217 with the Easy Start auto-choke less than a month ago. I've used it 4 times- every time it has taken AT LEAST 2 pulls to get it started. Today it took 4. I always thought Hondas were one pull from cold start. I see nothing in the manual about having to pull multiple times. Is it common in the HRX with auto choke to have to pull multiple times to get it going? It starts back up on the first pull after the engine is warm. Does the choke just need to get "broken in" from a few uses to get it to start up on the first pull when cold?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. Kinda disappointed a $600.00 push mower isn't starting up on the first try.

Thanks in advance

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, where do you live and what is the average temperature when you are trying to start the unit. Mower engines are built for warm weather and at temperatures below 50 degrees can be a bit temperamental. Second not having fresh fuel can contribute to hard starting. You might also check that the choke is fully closed when the unit is cold, may need an adjustment.

trekgod3

Threads
I live in south Florida and my hrx217 takes 2 to 3 pulls to start. 2 at the very minimum. Has never started on the 1st pull. My old mower had a Briggs and Stratton engine and it started 99 percent of the time on the 1st pull

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Remove the air cleaner and verify the choke is closing completely (cold) when you move the throttle lever to the choke position. If it does, and you still experience hard starting, I would back out the idle needle 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I agree a new mower shouldn't require 4 pulls to start.

Did you buy the mower from a lawnmower dealer? A dealer is more likely to assemble the mower and verify it's working correctly. Probably not from a big box store.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

adp1223

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

First of all, where do you live and what is the average temperature when you are trying to start the unit. Mower engines are built for warm weather and at temperatures below 50 degrees can be a bit temperamental. Second not having fresh fuel can contribute to hard starting. You might also check that the choke is fully closed when the unit is cold, may need an adjustment.

I live in NC and it's definitely been above 50 every time I've started. The gas is brand new, ethanol free, even in a new canister, so I doubt it's stale. I might have to do some more reading on auto-chokes as I'm unfamiliar with them. Took off the air filter so I can see it, but can't figure out how you would test if it's closing (can't exactly be down there and pull the cord at the same time!). Any advice, videos?

I live in south Florida and my hrx217 takes 2 to 3 pulls to start. 2 at the very minimum. Has never started on the 1st pull. My old mower had a Briggs and Stratton engine and it started 99 percent of the time on the 1st pull

That's pretty disappointing. Other than that, has the mower been running well? I can live with having to pull a few times to start. I just want the mower to last.

Hello,

Remove the air cleaner and verify the choke is closing completely (cold) when you move the throttle lever to the choke position. If it does, and you still experience hard starting, I would back out the idle needle 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I agree a new mower shouldn't require 4 pulls to start.

Did you buy the mower from a lawnmower dealer? A dealer is more likely to assemble the mower and verify it's working correctly. Probably not from a big box store.

Regards

Jeff

I removed the filter and the casing, but I still can't tell if it's closing. Not sure how you tell exactly since I'm guessing it closes when you pull the cord.

And yeah, I bought it from a big box store unassembled. That said, the only assembly required out of the box is the handlebar. Every thing else comes pre-assembled from the factory. So if it's messed up, it's def Honda's fault, not the retailer's.

Again, I can't figure out how to see if the auto choke is fully closing. Might have to do some further reading or find a video. Please let me know if you have any resource suggestions.

Thanks again, everyone!

dougand3

Threads
On most mowers, you can see the choke plate after pulling the air filter. Maybe the air filter housing blocks it here and need to remove it.

adp1223

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked the auto-choke and it looks fine. All the way closed when cold. ALMOST started on the first pull from cold today. I think I'm just going to run the gas out of it, get brand new gas just in case that's the culprit, change the oil (manual says to change it after the first month) and see how it does. If it continues to be a problem, I'll take it to a dealer. Will update this thread in case anyone else has this problem with a new 217.

trekgod3

Threads
Yes, my mower has been fantastic so far. Plenty of power, love the self propel. Only other issue I have is with the rear wheel adjusters. They are horrible. Also, I wouldn't consider it a problem worth taking to dealer that the mower dosen't start on the 1st pull. I just consider it normal. I changed my oil after 5 hours, and have only used non ethanol gas in it. Makes no difference when starting.

adp1223

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, my mower has been fantastic so far. Plenty of power, love the self propel. Only other issue I have is with the rear wheel adjusters. They are horrible. Also, I wouldn't consider it a problem worth taking to dealer that the mower dosen't start on the 1st pull. I just consider it normal. I changed my oil after 5 hours, and have only used non ethanol gas in it. Makes no difference when starting.

Good to know. Thanks for the input. Wish Honda would be more forthcoming about this, but if that's the worst thing about the mower, I can deal with it!

jsalis57

Threads
FWIW, I believe this to just be a normal trait for the model. I have 2 Honda mowers, a HRX217 that almost always requires 2 - 3 pulls and my old 35+ year old Honda 214 SX that starts with the first pull every time.