Brand New Honda ... Slightly Disappointed

FrizzleFried

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I just purchased a brand new Honda mower... the cheapest model ($419.00 US at Home Depot). Yesterday I purchased it. I have to admit... it's nice... has some nice features... I bought it because (A) it's a Honda and I've always wanted a Honda lawn mower and (B) It was time for a unit that I didn't have to push... I'm 49 now and it's getting a little old pushing the 15 year old Yard Machines Home Depot special around...

Again... the unit is nice... nice features... etc...

But I have to be honest. I'm less than thrilled with the cut quality. If I am being 100% honest, my 15 year old Yard Machines single blade beast has a better resulting cut at the end of the mow than this Honda. Color me SLIGHTLY disappointed. Granted... it's not BAD... but it's 100% FOR SURE not as clean of a cut as my old Yard Machines.

I am starting to consider a return to be honest. I'm just right on the fence.... but I figure I will certainly give this machine another couple mows before I make any decision. Will all newer models of mower produce a worse cut than my old beast? I noticed that this engine runs at a noticeably lower RPM than my old mower. Is this a new "standard" that lawn mower manufacturers have to meet or is that a Honda thing? Is this the reason for the worse cut? If so, is there a way to adjust the RPM on this model? I have not purchased a mower in 15 years... my old one still works but I'm tired of pushing... but I don't want to spend $450 (with tax) on a machine that can't even match the end result of my current mower (I'm sure you can understand).

I am just trying to determine what potential fixes might be out there before I decide to suck it up and "accept the lower quality cut" or take this unit back.
?

Thanks

Born2Mow

Threads
The condition of the blade and the RPM of the blade probably make the most difference in cut quality, as long as you are comparing equal setups between the 2 mowers. By that I mean, you weren't running the Honda in "mulch mode" while the Yard Machine was running "side chute" mode, where you ??

The RPM is set by the governor, which IS adjustable. The catch is Home Depot isn't going to have anyone that is qualified or has the equipment to make that adjustment. The best you can do at HD is go back and listen to 4 identical units. Taking it to a pro shop that doesn't know you at this time of year is going to be 8 weeks and $100.

I don't see a really good option here, except to return it and buy a mower from a pro shop. There are numerous brands with Honda engines.

FrizzleFried

Forum Newbie
Threads
Apples to apples...

Brand New Honda 2-blade ... in bag mode ... vs what I have been using for years ... a single blade Yard Machines (Briggs & Stratton engine) also in bag mode...

The Honda runs at a very noticeable lower RPM than the Yard Machines... hence my concern that it's not running fast enough to produce the quality of cut I am used to. '

Can I not adjust the governor myself?

dougand3

Threads
Get a $10 tachometer - wraps around plug wire and see #. I had an older GXV-140 and that max rec RPM was 3250.
Get your engine model and check youtube for governor adjustment.
BUT will doing so make mower non-returnable or void warranty?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The condition of the blade and the RPM of the blade probably make the most difference in cut quality, as long as you are comparing equal setups between the 2 mowers. By that I mean, you weren't running the Honda in "mulch mode" while the Yard Machine was running "side chute" mode, where you ??

The RPM is set by the governor, which IS adjustable. The catch is Home Depot isn't going to have anyone that is qualified or has the equipment to make that adjustment. The best you can do at HD is go back and listen to 4 identical units. Taking it to a pro shop that doesn't know you at this time of year is going to be 8 weeks and $100.

I don't see a really good option here, except to return it and buy a mower from a pro shop. There are numerous brands with Honda engines.
But keep in mind that the maximum recommended rpm is going to be based on blade length. the longer the cutting blade the slower the engine needs to run.

I suspect that part of the issue is due to a different style blade. the old mower most likely is a side discharge blade and the new Honda is a hybrid side discharge, bagging, mulching blade which doesn't really do any of the three very well.

FrizzleFried

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure about the blade, but the mower is not a side-discharge mower. It's a back bag mower...

It just sucks that I am as underwhelmed by this mower as I am. I was expecting more (to be honest) from Honda.

Trig

Threads
Honda recommends a counter-clockwise direction for mulching. My previous mower was clockwise.
Made a difference but my HRN series cut better than the previous mower (not Honda) either way.

Graeden

Threads
Not sure about the blade, but the mower is not a side-discharge mower. It's a back bag mower...

It just sucks that I am as underwhelmed by this mower as I am. I was expecting more (to be honest) from Honda.
Honda’s are great machines, but you don’t purchase one if you want to side discharge. They are highly regarded for their mulching & bagging capabilities in the same manner Toro Recyclers are regarded as the best for mulching. Messing with the governor will void your warranty. If you‘re disappointed with its performance, return it and purchased a self propelled Troy-Bilt.

Graeden

Threads
But keep in mind that the maximum recommended rpm is going to be based on blade length. the longer the cutting blade the slower the engine needs to run.

I suspect that part of the issue is due to a different style blade. the old mower most likely is a side discharge blade and the new Honda is a hybrid side discharge, bagging, mulching blade which doesn't really do any of the three very well.
How did you form that opinion?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every Honda mower I've used from the low end to commercial jobs all run at low revs like 2600-2800rpm. This is how they make them quieter. Crank the revs up to 3600 and they will sing as loud as the rest of them. Also lower revs means less engine wear and fuel consumption. The deck design and blade equates to cutting quality. Summation from all my Honda experience is they are "good" mowers. Notice the word "good". They will last a good bit and most people don't recognize a poor cut. Are there better mowers out there than Honda, sure are. Two brands come to mind.

P.S.
Lastly, my main issue with Hondas is the lack of engine torque. If you have dense grass like my Zenith Zoysia or Tifway Bermuda, look elsewhere. You need a big Briggs 190cc at minimum on these grasses.