Brand new Craftsman T260 riding, cranks but wont start

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new Craftsman T260 riding, cranks but wont start
Hi Folks,

Got myself a bit of an enraging issue with my brand new craftsman riding mower purchased in April. I got a whole 3 hours on it before it would not start, although I noticed the display would show "low battery" each time in use until the third time it simply wouldnt start.

the manufacturer date is 11/20, so yes this is frustrating. here is what i have discovered so far

1) even though the battery that came with it tested 12.4 on the multimeter, I purchased a new battery at 350 cold crank - mower started immediately first try then back to nothing the next day
2) when key is turned halfway, the mower display shows battery at 10, then drops to 7, then "low", lights stay on until key removed
3) when cabled to my running jeep, the battery shows 13.4 on the display, 14.4 on multimeter, and 12.2 on the multimeter while turning the key - still doesnt start
4) solenoid and battery terminals clean and all connections wrench tight
5) have regular new gas almost to the top of the tank
6) the key comes with me inside the house when not in use (no leaving the lights on)

the engine has started twice out of the last 20 or so times I tried it while being jumped by my jeep, but now i am on attempt 50 or so this week with no results, just a cranking engine but no start.

I am just a regular guy who acquired a few acres this year and willing to do things myself, but have limited engine knowledge. Any advice is appreciated. I did hire someone off facebook who came over and jumped it with his truck, took my 40$ and said get a new battery. that method didnt stick ha...

thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either the alternator is not working so the battery is not being recharged or there is a parrasitic load flattening the battery
TAKE IT BACK
Demand ( politely ) a repair , refund or exchange
Take a sign with you stating it is rubbish but the store will not honour the warranty and if they give you grief push it right in front of the doors.
And make sure you have your phone in hand & the phone number of the local news room just in case they decide to get nasty
15 seconds on the local TV does a massive amount of damage to retail sales.

If you troll through these pages you will see the members here advising time & time again to buy from dealers and now you know the reason why.
Your mower has already cost you another $ 100 over the ticketed price & still is not working .

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
"take it back" - oh, you will love this story. they delivered the mower without a key, and didnt tell me I can get a generic key from any store for a couple weeks, so i didnt even discover this issue until around 50 days after purchase, which is of course 20 days too late to return-exchange. They were more than willing to charge me a pickup fee as well as fix at my cost. it has been a long fight back and forth, but, i finally got my $ back in a credit card dispute. So, a few hundred $ investment to fix doesnt look as bad.

is replacing the alternator with some internet research-youtube videos reasonable for an overall handy guy but little engine knowledge?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
"take it back" - oh, you will love this story. they delivered the mower without a key, and didnt tell me I can get a generic key from any store for a couple weeks, so i didnt even discover this issue until around 50 days after purchase, which is of course 20 days too late to return-exchange. They were more than willing to charge me a pickup fee as well as fix at my cost. it has been a long fight back and forth, but, i finally got my $ back in a credit card dispute. So, a few hundred $ investment to fix doesnt look as bad.

is replacing the alternator with some internet research-youtube videos reasonable for an overall handy guy but little engine knowledge?
Get on mtdproducts,com and do a search for dealers in your area. They can warranty your Craftsman mower. You shouldn't be paying for what sounds like a warranty issue. Other than the pickup delivery fee in some cases the repairs should be covered.

It may not be the alternator or what we call the stator. Could be the voltage regulator or something else goofy with the wiring preventing it from charging.

Cusser

Threads
Wow, what a story about customer service run-around !!! Take it back like others have said, warranty issue. Does sound like an alternator/parasitic drain issue to me.

When I purchased my Craftsman lawn tractor in 2005, it arrived without the deck support bracket on one side. Rather than return it, I asked Sears to ship out the parts so I could install myself. Of course Sears shipped it to the address that they had on file for delivery (they were backed up on trucks/helpers so we took a flatbed and picked it up ourselves) instead of the address I had informed them during the phone call. How difficult could that be to get the correct shipping address.

Anyway, I buy any parts online.

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get on mtdproducts,com and do a search for dealers in your area. They can warranty your Craftsman mower. You shouldn't be paying for what sounds like a warranty issue. Other than the pickup delivery fee in some cases the repairs should be covered.

It may not be the alternator or what we call the stator. Could be the voltage regulator or something else goofy with the wiring preventing it from charging.
Warranty route was a dead end as well. Of the list of 5 approved shops "in my area", 2 dont actually work with craftsman, 2 said i was not in their service area, and 1 guy was booked through the whole summer. i tell ya, this has been a frustrating run around likely going on 10 hours of phone time

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
would starter fluid help me get this thing running in the meantime? the few times in the last month i have been able to start the mower, it has stayed on for 1-2 hours of use...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

ANother reason why it can be a false economy to buy from a big box store & not a dealer
FWIW I am not a dealer nor do I work for one .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My first thoughts are take it back with a big sign describing your problems with it.
However I see you said they delivered it so if you do not have a trailer then you are left on your own.
We can help you to get it going .
Get a can of CARB CLEANER to use as starting fluid as starting fluid is for diesel engines and can damage petrol ones because it ignites a lot earlier than petrol does .

NExt we have to work out why the mower is not starting, then look at why it is not charging .
A good battery will run a mower with an electric clutch for several hours before it goes so flat that the fuel solenoid closes and the engine stops.
For the meantime you will get away with charging your battery overnight .

GEt you can of carb cleaner and give the engine a SHORT shot down the spark plug hole then crank the engine, it should fire once or twice then stop
Next spray a SHORT shot down the carb and crank the engine, it should fire or 4 times then stop.
If it starts then repeat but keep on giving the engine short shots as the engine slows down, see if the engine can be kept running for about a 1/2 minute or so.

NAturally you need to check the oil before you start, note the lever and be particularly weary of increases in height.

Work your way through that lot then pour a beer & get back to the forum with the results .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start the engine and run at full 3600rpm. Take a multi-meter and measure the battery voltage in DC. Should be over 13-14 volts DC.

Are you idling the engine a lot? If so, precious air cooling to the engine, oil pressure/slung oil and charging the battery will be nil. Not a good idea to idle a mower engine. Keep it at 3600rpm at all times when mowing.

Could be just a flaky battery. 12.4VDC needs charged as you found out.