Bigger tires for Rollerskate Honda

Nanuq907

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy gents, brand new member here. I'm a gearhead and do all my own maintenance and I "get it" about gear ratios and ride heights and torque and sheared axles and rotating pivots and stuff like that.

So I'm looking at a Honda HRN216 mower with that yoogly Corvette rear deck styling and pathetic small tires, or the bigger HRX217 with more power and bigger wheels. I just can't get excited about the Ricky Racer plastic deck of the 217 but then the 216 and its puny little pathetic rollerskate wheels are nasty too.

So I was thinking, how about putting 9" wheels on the HRN216?!! Get the grey ones with the good tread from the 217 and they should bolt right on, right? Yes the ride height will change, that's why God gave us levers to lower it again. But the big question: will the gear drive match up on the back axle?

I'm thinking Honda are pretty smart, and want to minimize unique parts for each model. I bet the belt, pulleys, differential, axle and gears are the same for the 216 and 217, except maybe the driven pulley is bigger so the axle turns slower on the 217 for its bigger tires. So what's to stop me putting the bigger / cooler 9" tires on the 216? Heck, is there a 10" wheel that will bolt on and use the same gear set?

I bet I'm not the first one to ask this question.... can it be done?

Thanks gents! (y)