Big Dog vs Bob Cat????

dchance

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at a new Zero turn.

background: currently run a Cub Zforce 5o inch cut with a Kohler 23hp. 400+hrs. stamped deck. runs great but the rest of the mower seems to be deteriorating. The stamped deck is a downer. I had the mower worked into the deal when buying the house so I did not buy but it is 8 or 10 years old which is probably not a bad service for it. I currently mow about 2 or 3 of my 5 country weedy acres (probably more like 2).

I am looking at new mowers, but want to stick with local dealers due to warranty.

I talked to a dealer today that deals both Bob Cat and Big Dog mowers. Looking at the Bobcat CRZ 52in cut and the Big Dog R series with the 54" cut. Both Kawasaki engines. He recommended the Big Dog and priced it at $5300 but said he could do $4900. the BobCat at $4500 (quoted price not sure if he can do better). He recommended the Big Dog over the Bob Cat. but I am not sure I really "need" the extra size of the mower of the Big Dog for the extra price???? Am I being cheap here? I am sure the CRZ would be more than enough for me but dang the larger Big Dog would really be nice.

For example the "bigger features of the big dog are: 23hp Kawasaki vs the 21.5hp that comes on the Bob Cat. 54" cut vs 52". HG ZT 3100 hydraulic system vs. HG ZT 2800. Big dog has a floating 11 guage steel deck vs Bob Cat 10 guage non floating, linkage.

That said, I am still unsure due to there being not a ton of reviews out on them.

So with that background and price range (which I am happy with but don't want to pay more than %5K) what is the Bob Cat vs. Big Dog comparisons? I looked at the brochures and features seem to lean toward the Big Dog, but I really have no experience with either.

Locally we have dealers of Ariens, Cub, Hustler, Husgvarna(sp), and John Deere and used to have Gravely not sure if they still sell them. But I haven't looked into them yet.

OR

Do I continue to put $200-$400 per year into my Cub and keep it running until it won't anymore? what can I even expect to get for it if I sold it?

lots of questions....thanks all!

RatRacer

Threads
Hey, ho. Hi, welcome to the ZTR asylum.. Cat vs. Dog :laughing: gotta love it!

Big Dog is a sub brand of Hustler, so yeah, it's good.
Compare the fabbed foundations, like the frame. Comparing bolt on stuff, like engine and trannie, is easy. Bobcat ain't no slouch, but this is a newer facet of their brand.
I had a Big Dog R754PB to demo for a couple weeks, then the dealer peaved me, to buy it. I'd still have it, if it wasn't for a spite thing.

The BD is 1mph faster too.

dchance

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the reply. I tend to over analyze decisions like this so upon research I did see your post about the trouble with your dealer :thumbdown:
I was curious of your overall thoughts on the actual mower. thanks.
My whole hangup, is if a mower that size is really needed? The Cat is a smaller mower but would be a good quality one and still better than my current cub and comes at a smaller price tag.

RatRacer

Threads
thanks for the reply. I tend to over analyze decisions like this so upon research I did see your post about the trouble with your dealer :thumbdown:
I was curious of your overall thoughts on the actual mower. thanks.
My whole hangup, is if a mower that size is really needed? The Cat is a smaller mower but would be a good quality one and still better than my current cub and comes at a smaller price tag.

The mower itself was awesome, and performed beyond my expectations. But having an extended use of it, I found it's limitations. Given the non-traditional design of the mower set up, I couldn't get passed them to fight to keep it.
That is a personal decision alone for you (and your wallet).
My final decision was based on forward speed ultimately (but with good foundation and parts). I want to get the crap done as fast as possible, as I have better things to do. But I also wanted the mower to have some gumption, if I chose to skip a week, and not kill itself doing so. I'm mowing a 1/2 acre with a 10 mph mower (when it gets here), so don't worry about talking overkill. Everyone has different approaches, and forums enlighten you to aspects you hadn't considered when comparing models.

Price is you, quality is them, and finding the happy compromise is the fun of it all.

edd

Threads
i have a big dog r 754 that i use in my lawn care business and i would recommend big dog mowers to anybody.....only problem i had was sticks needed adjusting ......have 300 hrs on it and it is tough and dependable so far.....4900 is a good price to

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looking at a new Zero turn.

background: currently run a Cub Zforce 5o inch cut with a Kohler 23hp. 400+hrs. stamped deck. runs great but the rest of the mower seems to be deteriorating. The stamped deck is a downer. I had the mower worked into the deal when buying the house so I did not buy but it is 8 or 10 years old which is probably not a bad service for it. I currently mow about 2 or 3 of my 5 country weedy acres (probably more like 2).

I am looking at new mowers, but want to stick with local dealers due to warranty.

I talked to a dealer today that deals both Bob Cat and Big Dog mowers. Looking at the Bobcat CRZ 52in cut and the Big Dog R series with the 54" cut. Both Kawasaki engines. He recommended the Big Dog and priced it at $5300 but said he could do $4900. the BobCat at $4500 (quoted price not sure if he can do better). He recommended the Big Dog over the Bob Cat. but I am not sure I really "need" the extra size of the mower of the Big Dog for the extra price???? Am I being cheap here? I am sure the CRZ would be more than enough for me but dang the larger Big Dog would really be nice.

For example the "bigger features of the big dog are: 23hp Kawasaki vs the 21.5hp that comes on the Bob Cat. 54" cut vs 52". HG ZT 3100 hydraulic system vs. HG ZT 2800. Big dog has a floating 11 guage steel deck vs Bob Cat 10 guage non floating, linkage.

That said, I am still unsure due to there being not a ton of reviews out on them.

So with that background and price range (which I am happy with but don't want to pay more than %5K) what is the Bob Cat vs. Big Dog comparisons? I looked at the brochures and features seem to lean toward the Big Dog, but I really have no experience with either.

Locally we have dealers of Ariens, Cub, Hustler, Husgvarna(sp), and John Deere and used to have Gravely not sure if they still sell them. But I haven't looked into them yet.

OR

Do I continue to put $200-$400 per year into my Cub and keep it running until it won't anymore? what can I even expect to get for it if I sold it?

lots of questions....thanks all!

dchance,
As eluded to by users RatRacer & edd the Big Dog is a good quality machine(and another user, Old Goat, that I haven't seen a post from lately also has the R754 and loves it). The one RatRacer had was the Powerbar model instead of the regular lap bar ZTR and I'm not sold on that technology yet. If you decide to do some comparisons with the Gravely I suggest the ZT HD, the Cubs look at the Z-Force and the Husqvarna has a real nice ~$5k ZTR in the M-ZT 52(just happens to be what user RatRacer replaced the Big Dog R754PB with). If I were considering the BobCat, I would most likely step up to the FastCat RZ or FastCat Pro but I don't have any idea what they run price-wise. Lots of good choices out there.....have fun:0)