Best lawn mower battery

Jayrh

Threads
Hello all, I have bought a bunch of Walmart mower batteries. They outlast the 90 warranty and that's about all. I would like a battery that will last a year or two. Or should I mount a car battery between my feet! All reply's much appreciated..........Jay

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've had good luck with Batteries from Tractor supply, can't remember the name brand, also the L&G Batteries from o'Reilly Auto Parts.

wrldtvlr

Threads
AGM batteries are more expensive that old school lead acid batteries, but last longer. You might try one of those and see if it helps.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been using Interstate batteries for the last 15 years at the shop and in all my vehicles. No problems or customer complaints.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm just past the 6 year point on my Z, & it still has the OE battery. But I do hook it to a battery MINDer® here & there.

And not all batteries are created equal. Some that are under the seat are about 1 inch lower than any off the shelf battery.. Just saying.

Mine has one like that. 1 inch taller would fit, but when the seat bounces, it might cause issues..

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been using the Tractor Supply batteries for several years, get really good long term service. I take the battery out in January and give it a recharge. Usually buy the upper level battery, 300 amp I'm thinking.

qmark

Threads
Could you have some other problem, some sort of a discharge. Even Walmart batteries should last a way more than 90 days.
Check your voltage while running. The alternator should be putting out about 14 volts.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Depends on the mower, most regulate it to around 13.2 volts.

qmark

Threads
13.2 seems low, but I don't know what most lawn mowers do. That might not be enough to maintain a battery. My grasshopper is 14.2 like most other engines. Low charging voltage will ruin a battery over time.

Mower King

Threads
13.2 seems low, but I don't know what most lawn mowers do. That might not be enough to maintain a battery. My grasshopper is 14.2 like most other engines. Low charging voltage will ruin a battery over time.

I agree with this quote!

We sell Interstate Batteries, the SP-40 is the one I always grab and install in all the mowers I work on. They are 435 CA and seem to last for years if charged during the winter season.