Best fuel stabilizer

RyanHL

Threads
I know there's a big debate on this topic but wanted to know. What is the best Fuel stabilizer/ carb cleaner that you can dump in the gas tank? Something that actually works on cleaning varnish in the carb. I want to use it for lawn mowers and other small things. I heard Stabil, Seafoam, Mechanic in a bottle, etc. Wanting to know your opinion.

TonyPrin

Threads
I believe B-12 is the best at cleaning carbs but not as a fuel stabilizer. The best combination is Sea Foam.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The things that determine which works best for you are so variable it is not funny
I really can not be bothered to type out 40 things which will determine if you need a sabilizer or not
In most cases they do nothing beneficial .
They don't do any harm either other than to lighten you wallet & increase the exhaust pollution.

As for cleaning out varnish deposits none will actually do that.
Injector cleaner is what you use and even then it is hit & miss at best
My workshop is 500 yards away from the landlords house, across the small paddock.
He is 30 foot higher than me
In high summer his fuel will go off in 2 weeks while mine will be fine for several months .
Same fuel from the same pump filled at the same time .

TonyPrin

Threads
My workshop is 500 yards away from the landlords house, across the small paddock.
He is 30 foot higher than me
In high summer his fuel will go off in 2 weeks while mine will be fine for several months .
Same fuel from the same pump filled at the same time .
Bert, I'm not following what you're getting at here. Clearly fuel degradation can vary from a variety of factors including the climate, the container and the quantity, but why does that mean fuel stabilizers don't work?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The number of factors that control how fast fuel goes off are enormous , right down to the micro climate
I have customers where the fuel will go off if the mower is left in the shed, but will be fine if left outside in the weather
Temperature flucuations . relative humidity, wind, dew point all come into play
Then there is the fuel itself, more than once I have stopped pumping fuel into my cans because it was already off.
Some times there s so much Tolunene in there it smells like paint stripper then next week there is so much Benzine it smells like an old boot makers shop.
The it can smell like a dry cleaners shop MEK & methyl benzene too high.
So there is no such thing as a "best" fuel stabilizer and the bulk of the time it is a case of Alaskan Elephant repellant .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sta-bil is a solid choice. Works for me every spring. Mowers start like new.

RyanHL

Threads
ok thanks for all the feed pack. I know it matters with the weather in stuff as well.

RyanHL

Threads
But what would be the best carb cleaner to put in your gas, even if its still a little varnishy after the ultrasonic cleaner?

artemjemmy

Threads
Fuel goes bad much faster in a carburetor fuel system because the volatile components of gasoline in the bowl will evaporate through the bowl vent, leaving behind the heavier stuff, and eventually causing the bowl level to drop enough for a little more fuel to be left in, and the process repeats causing gum and varnish to build up in the bowl. Fuel contaminants will greatly accelerate this process as well. Leaving gasoline in a sealed container will allow it to last much much longer. As for what additive can "remove" varnish as the engine consumes gas, that process simply doesn't work