Battery problem for Ryobi lawn mower

FreddyTheTeddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all!

I have a Ryobi lawn mower with a Ryobi BPL3650D battery.
When I start mowing the battery is full, all four diods are solid green.
When I press the (?) button on the battery when it is attached to the mower it is only one diod that is green.
When I press the (?) button on the handle bar on the mower all for diods are green.
I can only be mowing for maybe 5 minutes and then I have to charge the battery again.
Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks! :)
thing.jpglawn mower.jpgbattery on charger.jpgbattery on mower.jpghandle bar.jpgIMG_3588.jpg

Best,
Fredrik

Last edited:

FreddyTheTeddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know, we got it from the old owner when we bought a house so at least four years.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I have some batteries over 8 years old but, I'm starting to see them get weak and one has failed already. Given different qualities of battery and different use and storage.....you may only have a year or 2 left on that battery anyway so, maybe just use it, try to put it away with a partial charge (say...40% to 80% ?) and hope for the best.

fixit1ddh

Threads
That's what drive most People to get rid of there battery powered equipment. Most go back to gas power and never look back.

MowerMike

Threads
Definitely sounds like a weak battery that is basically dead. It's not uncommon for a weak battery to appear to be fully charged without a load on it, but then when a load is applied the voltage drops dramatically, such that the charge indicator lights show that the battery is nearly discharged. My own experience with Ryobi lithium batteries is that they don't last more than 5 years.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
dead battery. Worked in a computer center for 15 years with lots of battery powered equipment. Also have owned battery powered tools. They just don't have as long a life expectancy as what is marketed. On top of it if one reads most of the warranties, a three year warranty is only for like 50% to 70% capacity. Since most of the charge life comes from 30% up to 100%, that means over half the usable life is gone. Worse, the people who sell the equipment either go NLA on the batteries or so expensive no one wants one.

FreddyTheTeddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for taking your time answering this. Guess I have to buy a new battery or a new lawn mower then. :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Price of new batteries IS the cost of a new mower sad to say. And with "someone's" world record price gouging inflation going on....... $7.50 a gallon in Cali for gas. o_O

Charlie8d

Threads
Thank you for taking your time answering this. Guess I have to buy a new battery or a new lawn mower then. :)
Here are some on E Bay for sale. I would think that for $65, it would be well worth it !
You can usually find some on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, too. I have a different battery mower, but I bought a couple of other tools that use the same battery as my mower, at big savings on Market[place.