battery bolts

2ball

Threads
At the beginning of this season, I couldn't find bolts that hold the cables to the battery posts, so I used random bolts and nuts that I found.
At the end of this season one of the nuts looked burned and that battery post was darker then the other one.

Does it matter what kind of metal the bolts that hold the cables to the post are?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've always used Grade 5 or 8 hardware, just whatever the hardware store has in the correct size. and haven't had an issue like you describe.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Proper battery bolts are lead plated
Whenever any 2 metals are touching and they get expose to an electrolyte ( water ) you have a galvanic cell
This is why people will paint or grease battery terminals
If you have a plain copper battery terminal then you have a whole series of cells, lead-steel , lead - copper , copper - steel .
The very best thing you can do is polish then all nice & shinny, bolt them tight together then paint them over with liquid electrical tape.

To further confuse people the + & - terminals on you battery are different alloys of lead.
One is lead-antimony and the other is lead-silver or lead-cadmium
So even is just sitting on the shelf, one will go sort of black & the other sort of silver grey

FWIW I buy brass coach bolts and wing nuts
Do them up tight so the square section cuts into the terminals then undo and fit the wires then paint over all but the end of the bolt.
Being there all by itself it will not corrode and provide a point to read voltages or connect a jumper lead or battery charger.
Do not go overboard you really only need to cover anywhere that water can get to two parts or seep in between them .
If you want to be Safety Sam, it comes in both red & black

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Zinc-aluminum-coated steel screws are about five times as corrosion resistant as zinc yellow-chromate plated screws and have good resistance to salt water and acids. Also known as ultra coat and armor coat. To maintain corrosion resistance, use these screws with zinc-aluminum-coated nuts and washers

2ball

Threads
Thank you

I got a not so related follow up question.

the battery in my mower sat for a month and wouldn't start the mower.
I have a boat battery on a maintainer so I brought that battery to the mower and started it.
I then put the original battery back in the mower while the mower was running.
I was scared that the battery was going to shock me while I tightened down the nuts,
but there was no shock at all.
how come the battery didn't shock me?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thank you

I got a not so related follow up question.

the battery in my mower sat for a month and wouldn't start the mower.
I have a boat battery on a maintainer so I brought that battery to the mower and started it.
I then put the original battery back in the mower while the mower was running.
I was scared that the battery was going to shock me while I tightened down the nuts,
but there was no shock at all.
how come the battery didn't shock me?
You can be shocked by 12VDC, or even less. Grab a new 9V battery and touch it to your tongue. Now touch it to your hand. Tongue = low enough resistance that OUCH!
Hand = high enough resistance that no perceptible shock takes place.

This is also why birds and squirrels can sit on power lines without being shocked. They are exposed to voltages from 7.2kV to 33kV without any issues, because they are isolated from ground and all other phases. Occasionally, a squirrel will step from the line to the pole rather than jumping, at which time we have to take a moment of silence and hope that particular tree rat made his peace with Jesus.
I did get a tingle from a truck 12v battery one time, i was soaked with sweat (water) and i was leaning over the engine bay, and touched my forearm to + and - and it tingled me enough to where i wondered "What the heck was that!?"

shurguywutt

Threads
You can be shocked by 12VDC, or even less. Grab a new 9V battery and touch it to your tongue. Now touch it to your hand. Tongue = low enough resistance that OUCH!

This is also why birds and squirrels can sit on power lines without being shocked. They are exposed to voltages from 7.2kV to 33kV without any issues, because they are isolated from ground and all other phases. Occasionally, a squirrel will step from the line to the pole rather than jumping, at which time we have to take a moment of silence and hope that particular tree rat made his peace with Jesus.
I did get a tingle from a truck 12v battery one time, i was soaked with sweat (water) and i was leaning over the engine bay, and touched my forearm to + and - and it tingled me enough to where i wondered "What the heck was that!?"
Remember in the movies the bad guy always takes fat cables attached to a car battery and touches them to someones bare chest after throwing a bucket of water on them.

Only works when wet. Its all about resistance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ever wondered why the battery is 12 V and not 6 or 18 or 24 like some trucks ?
Well it just happens that 12 V is ON AVERAGE the resistance of dry skin
Remember those old square 9V batteries that were popular in transistor radios & still used in a not of multimeters ?
remember how you used to test them ?
Yep the tip of your tounge would tingle as the power passed across it .

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I abandoned lawn tractor battery bolts about 20 years ago. Heavy duty C-Clamps are convenient, quick and provide 2 handles to carry the battery when necessary.

Attachments

• battery clamps 2013.jpg
    battery clamps 2013.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 31

jagg2236

Threads

Small tid bit-- I hear you can connect a 9v battery to land line phone to ring it. Don't know anything else about it, just saying