Battery advice for 16HP Vanguard

128MB

Threads
I swapped the 6HP tecumseh for a 16HP Vanguard in my Wolf Cart.
But i have very small room for a battery.
About 15cm length, 8cm wide and 7cm tall.

Biggest battery i could find online that would fit inside the frame is a 3.2A lead-acid battery.

Is that sufficient to crank this ? Im using 100A ignition key and 100A Solenoid.
No other accessories.

Also need to figure out where to hook up the throttle cable, i can move the throttle plate moving the governer arm but not with the round plate thats also connected to it with a spring.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You'll probably need at least 280 Cold Cranking Amps for the battery in 12V for a 16 hp engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I swapped the 6HP tecumseh for a 16HP Vanguard in my Wolf Cart.
But i have very small room for a battery.
About 15cm length, 8cm wide and 7cm tall.

Biggest battery i could find online that would fit inside the frame is a 3.2A lead-acid battery.

Is that sufficient to crank this ? Im using 100A ignition key and 100A Solenoid.
No other accessories.

Also need to figure out where to hook up the throttle cable, i can move the throttle plate moving the governer arm but not with the round plate thats also connected to it with a spring.

Not familiar with a Wolf Cart.
Does it use a governed engine or a strait throttle control engine.
If the former the control goes to the loose end of the spring on the governor arm.
If not it goes direct to the carb butterfly

One might ask why you are putting in an engine that is near 3 times bigger.
If it is governed then it will not go 1 inch an hour faster.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd rig up a battery box somewhere on the machine to hold a suitable battery. If you can get a 16hp mill in place of a 6, you can figure this out. Or just get a small size Li-ion jump starter to start the engine - would need to unhook it when running though - and run the machine on that smaller battery that you can fit in.

128MB

Threads
I just swapped it because i wanted to :)
It fits and the v-twin makes a nice noise other than the clanking of a cheap 6hp tecumseh with plastic carb ...
And i do have to fit other pulleys so i can make it go as fast or as slow i want, besides it also got a 3 speed peerless transmission. stock engine goes 10mph.

I think i figured out the throttle, there is only tension when the governor is spinning.

And never knew that i would need a battery this big, was hoping for a small 3A to have it crank but those are only 30A cold crank.

This is the stock cart:
20190825_131910.jpg

And here with the beautiful vanguard:
20191005_141728.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Holy toledo! Looks like it fit like a tight glove. lol
As Tom said you might have to add a battery box somewhere.
That's the only way I can see it starting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might want to consider the clutch very carefully because if it dumps on the teeth will strip out of the box.
Those old boxes were only designed to handle 12 Hp and many of them have gears that are power pressings and not particularly strong

128MB

Threads
Clutch shouldnt be a problem, i dont intend to drag race :D
But man oh man i need more space for a battery or i'd have to put it between my legs :D

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd try to put it up front, maybe add a front bumper made of lead with the battery behind it. Probably still won't keep the front wheels on the ground? Wild looking machine there.

128MB

Threads
I'd try to put it up front, maybe add a front bumper made of lead with the battery behind it. Probably still won't keep the front wheels on the ground? Wild looking machine there.

Hah i like that idea :D