Badboy won't maintain battery charge while in use

Ponytailoftexas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2013 Bad Boy ZT Elite Serial #BZE6027KO01131827 with a with a Kohler 27 hp serial #4214624103 motor.

For the last several months, the mower appears to not be charging the battery when running/mowing. I have had to a repair place twice and the most recent time, 03-31-2021 he replaced the "rectifier, starter solenoid and starter and serviced it oil/filter change, 2 spark plugs". Previously, he replaced the connector to the steering arms and a fuse.

The first time we mowed with it following that repair, it mowed for about 3 hours and then died in mid mow. Changed the battery and it mowed another 2 hours and then I mowed yesterday for about 2 hours. Today ... would not start ... battery dead ... again. UGH

The repair guy thought maybe the previous uses had damaged the original battery which is why we put on a different one but, now it's done it again.

Any ideas what else could be the issue or what else he needs to try? I've been surfing the web trying to find helpful hints or posts and so far, we've already done the suggestions that I've seen. Any input is appreciated! :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either that or you have an electric PTO clutch that is partially shorted. Normally they pull no more than 7 amps but I have partially shorted ones to pull up to 20 amps and still work. Normal resistance is around 1.7 to 3 ohms. Anything under 1.7 ohms is bad. Here I have a test harness that has a 7 amp fuse inline with the clutch electric coil. IF it blows I just replace the PTO clutch assy.

Also being a Kohler someone may have failed to the regulator ground strap back when they replaced the regulator.

Gunny1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Badboy won't maintain battery charge while in use
Have had to change the starter relay multiple times this year already. Taking the problem being me washing the mower off after each use. Just started with the problem of battery not charging so will use the procedures listed above, thanks for posting what to look for.....

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Badboy won't maintain battery charge while in use
Meaure battery voltage with mower off.
Start mower and run at full throttle and measure voltage at battery.
Measure battery voltage with mower at full speed and blades engaged.
These tests will give us a place to start troubleshooting.

Badboyuser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same exact mower and mine is doing the same thing. I have to keep it on a charger to get 2 hours of mowing out it. If i mow too long then it just quits and I have to charge up in the yard. I am very interested in what you think this might be or what you find out on yours. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BadBoy did you look at the charging system troubleshooting procedure in the manual I posted earlier?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
BadBoy did you look at the charging system troubleshooting procedure in the manual I posted earlier?
Keep picking up hitchhikers.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Magnets have probably come unglued from the flywheel