Bad boy shuts off when PTO engages

Rkeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
This is my first post! I have the opportunity to purchase a 60" ZT, with a 26hp Briggs, unknown hours as the tach/hour meter is dead. I think the mower is 2008-2010 year model maybe. The owner wants $500 related to him moving and that it's not fully operational. I feel like its a deal I can't pass up. Mower runs like a top, drives fine but.... My question is as the title says, when the engine is running and the PTO engages the engine immediately dies as if a kill switch or safety switch is engaged. The owner was cutting grass when the mower shut down. Now, every time the PTO engages it will shut down, if I disengage the PTO quickly it will continue to run. The mower has been sitting a lot, new battery. Some google searches have turned up few troubleshoots.

I have placed a battery charger on it and assured a good charge. I attempted to engage the PTO with the battery charger in place with no avail. The blades turn freely, looks like nothing hung on the blades.

Thanks for the help!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....

Sounds like the 'operator present' switch in the seat is not working, or got unplugged...
You could check out the PTO clutch coil itself by unplugging it at the clutch... then connect 12 volts to the coil with the engine running the mower deck should operate..... :smile:KennyV

Rkeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I'm about to sound like/be the dumbest guy here, what's the best way to achieve connecting 12 volts to the clutch switch? Run two wires from the battery straight to the clutch? Thanks again.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks, I'm about to sound like/be the dumbest guy here, what's the best way to achieve connecting 12 volts to the clutch switch? Run two wires from the battery straight to the clutch? Thanks again.

Yes run two wires from the battery right to the clutch.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do that Only as a temporary test to see if your clutch is working and the engine is able to drive the mower deck...
Also be careful, the blades Should engage... post back with what happens. :smile:KennyV

Rkeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, here is where we are at
1. jumper wire for the seat switch did not work
2. ran wires from the clutch switch to the battery and nothing happened. Blades did not turn on. What did happen is that the the wire did begin to melt to the battery terminals. Switch from neg to pos same result, if it even matters.

Something I found that I can start the mower not sitting on it with the seat switch plugged or jumped up it doesnt matter, it will still start. Runs like a champ until the PTO is engaged still.

Thanks again for everyones input

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you took the belt off the clutch and tried it. See if you can turn the blades by hand

Rkeeter

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the belt in place, I can reach under the deck and turn the blades by hand. All three turn, pulleys turn.

It runs so smooth I feel like it's a simple fix, but I hate wiring and God only knows which switch , relay or wire it is

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
2. ran wires from the clutch switch to the battery and nothing happened. Blades did not turn on. What did happen is that the the wire did begin to melt to the battery terminals. Switch from neg to pos same result, if it even matters.

This sounds like the PTO clutch coil is shorted OR the wiring at the coil is shorted to ground... Do you have an ohm meter?