Bad Boy or Ferris?

bing_oh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to replace my ancient Dixon with a new ZTR. I have about an acre of relatively level, patchy rough ground (just one small ditch area with an incline), lots of trees, with a couple of spots that stay a bit swampy in the spring. I want something that will last a long time, so I've been looking at mowers with fab decks and higher-end residential/semi-pro components. I'd prefer to not go much over the $5k mark. I'm specifically looking at the Bad Boy ZT Elite or Ferris 400s (48"), as they both have dealers in my area. I'm in a rural area, so anything else will either be a long drive or a purchase from a big box store, both of which I'm trying to avoid.

Anyone with any specific pros and cons between these two?

Thanks.

cruzenmike

Threads
I know one person with a Bad Boy, although I do not know which model, but it is a 54" deck with a Kohler engine and they really like it. One of the issues that they have with their specific mower is that the control levers are not adjustable for and aft which for this user makes the controls a bit uncomfortable. As for the Ferris, I have spoken with my local dealer and they have had pretty good luck with theirs. Between the two engine options, Kawasaki or Briggs, they sold many more of the Briggs and had less issues with them. You mention swampy area, so be sure to consider equipment weight and tire width as this will help with keeping ruts to a minimum and hopefully give you more traction on turf that may be slightly wet like in your ditch. I know that you want to stay in the $5 mark but you can get a 44" Exmark Radius E for $5k plus tax or for $500 more get the 48". I do not know the warranties on the Bad Boy or the Ferris, but the Exmark has a 4 year/500 hour warranty. The engine in the Exmark is their own branded engine but I can speak from personal experience that it is smooth and powerful. The techs at multiple dealerships have stated that these engines have very few problems.

Also let it be known that for personal use and with a $5000 budget, there are many worthy options such as the Cub Cadet ZT2 line, the Deere Z535M or the Scag Liberty Z. All of the mowers that I have mentioned have at least HydroGear 2800 transmissions or comparable which is a step above a low end residential unit in terms of reliability/durability.

bing_oh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, cruzenmike. From the info on their websites, it looks like Bad Boy has a 2 year warranty (which does concern me) while Ferris has a 3 year. I've been avoiding manufacturers who don't have shops near me, since it's inevitable that I'll need service at some point. That bumps Cub and Scag off the list. I'll have to look at the specs on the Deere.

I've gotten preliminary price quotes from both local Ferris and Bad Boy dealers. The Ferris dealer is running a sale for $3500 after mail-in rebate for the Briggs version of the 400s. The Bad Boy dealer quoted $4500 for the Kohler version of an Elite. I have yet to go hands-on with either, but that $1k difference isn't something to sneeze at!

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks, cruzenmike. From the info on their websites, it looks like Bad Boy has a 2 year warranty (which does concern me) while Ferris has a 3 year. I've been avoiding manufacturers who don't have shops near me, since it's inevitable that I'll need service at some point. That bumps Cub and Scag off the list. I'll have to look at the specs on the Deere.

I've gotten preliminary price quotes from both local Ferris and Bad Boy dealers. The Ferris dealer is running a sale for $3500 after mail-in rebate for the Briggs version of the 400s. The Bad Boy dealer quoted $4500 for the Kohler version of an Elite. I have yet to go hands-on with either, but that $1k difference isn't something to sneeze at!

The Price on the Ferris is pretty good!! I was in the market for a new mower last year and the 400S would have cost me about $4100 with the Briggs.

And I am not bashing any of these brands either; my step-dad has a Ferris and loves it. As for the warranty, it speaks for itself. If a manufacturer cannot stand behind a piece of equipment for an extended period of time, it's because they know it is likely to fail after that warranty has failed. Even so, the overall cost of ownership over a short period of time goes down if warranty repairs must occur.

Now you must spend some time reading review, watching YouTube videos and most importantly read through the manuals for the two pieces of equipment that you are looking at. Know what you are getting yourself into. And above ALL, respect and maintain your equipment!