B&S engine starter flywheel not engaging

artinNC

Forum Newbie
Threads
new starter will not engage flywheel, the starter spins but small cog will not rise up and engage flywheel. I have also put on a new solenoid and it still wil not engage. Can anyone please tell me what i might need to try? The flywheel is fine, teeth are good.The new starter just spins when I turn the key to start it, but the gear to engage the flywheel stays in place and doesn't travel upward on the shaft.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things will cause them this problem. Weak battery or bad bendix on your starter. If the battery is good, you should check for a good solid, clean ground wire connection. If you bought the starter from a reputable dealer, I would take it back and have them check it. If you bought off ECrap you may have to have a repair shop install a new bendix drive.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And make sure the battery isn't connected backwards, which will cause the starter to turn in the reverse direction.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I assumed that it was connected properly. I know never assume anything when troubleshooting electrical problems. I broke my own rule.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry I assumed that it was connected properly. I know never assume anything when troubleshooting electrical problems. I broke my own rule.
My favorite was the day that I was checking the voltage on a battery that was acting similar to this thinking low voltage. Put the red lead on the + terminal and the black lead on the - terminal on the meter read -12.7 volts. Come to find out the customer had purchased the battery just a few days before and brought the mower to me because it wouldn't start.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp I have seen a couple battery to reverse their charge over the years myself. To this day I don't know why they did it. Starters turning backwards was my clue something was amiss with the batteries.

I didn't want mention that as you guys probably would think I was nuts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
99.9% of the time I follow that rule, but I’m standing there looking at the unit and it’s automatic. Easy to forget when you’re posting on a forum. Did catch myself using the meter with the leads plugged into the wrong ports. Worst part customer was standing there as I was on a service call. Oh well it happens.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yelp I have seen a couple battery to reverse their charge over the years myself. To this day I don't know why they did it. Starters turning backwards was my clue something was amiss with the batteries.

I didn't want mention that as you guys probably would think I was nuts.
And the first thing that goes through your mind is did I read the battery terminals backwards, or hook the leads up reversed on the meter.

artinNC

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I have to write to tell you, that after having this mower for 15 + years and doing all the work that has ever been done to it and all those batteries I have put in and Just how sure I was that I had put this one in correctly....but after reading all your posts, I Had to go back and question myself and just how duck sure I was that I put it in correct, and Like you "Rivet" I'm sorry that I assumed that I had put the battery in correctly...NOPE, not the case. I had reversed the cables. after correcting that the old engine fired up and started immediately. Thank you all for you input. if it had not been for most of you saying I needed to check the battery...i would not have done that. Thanks again...if i have any more troubles with the old thing. I know now where I will come and post my question. Again, Thanks and my hat is off to all of you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t be embarrassed, as I posted, been there done that. Thank you for letting us know you have solved the problem. Most never do that.