B&S 190cc no spark new coil

Gigster527

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs n Stratton 128T021270B1 190cc Platinum series 7.00 - No Spark

It quit running one day, I cleaned the carb jets, no spark. I tested the coil sometimes 6.6k ohms other time infinity. Looked like a broken or sometimes broken spark plug wire. Ordered a new coil installed gapped to .009 and no spark.
Are there insulators between the coil and the engine? I didn’t find any when I took the original coil off.
Any ideas, it’s a simple system. Magnet pass coil induces a spark?
I measured resistance between coil spark plug wire and kill wire, armature frame, engine block. All 6.28k ohms.
Also tried with kill wire detached.
I don’t see a condenser.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No insulators. Magnet pass coil induces a spark? Yes.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
remove the black kill wire and check for spark.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
get the biggest screwdriver you have, see if the flywheel magnets will hold it, or see how far away the screwdriver is from the magnets when you start to feel it pull.

Gigster527

Forum Newbie
Threads
get the biggest screwdriver you have, see if the flywheel magnets will hold it, or see how far away the screwdriver is from the magnets when you start to feel it pull.
About a 1/4”, they do hold the screw driver.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The points & condenser have been replaced with a Hall effect trigger chip which is embedded into the coil covering.
You can not test the low tension side ( ground terminal to laminations ) and doing such with a lot of meters will fry the chip, thus destroy the magneto .
You can measure the resistance in the secondary windings but again it is fairly useless thing to do unless you are a shaved monkey trying to pretend you are inelligent to impress other shaved monkeys who watch you tube .
All you need to know is the secondary is a closed circuit so the spark can get to the plug , just in case the plug cap is bad
The coil is not serviceable so in reality all you do is remove the kill wire and see if you get a spark
If the answer is no, grab the plug cap and see if you can pull it off
If so then replace the cap & check for spark again
Yes then refit
No then toss the coil & fit a new one
No numbers required which is very hard for the calculator generation and younger to comprehend.
It either works or dont work and that is it.
If it sparks without the wire connected and does not spark with the wire connected then the wire has a short some where to ground.
The kill wire is a ground circuit which is switched
Switching a ground wire is another thing that the calculator generation have difficulty understanding because all they ever learned was punching numbers & ot what those numbers mean or how they are created .