Are all blades (the same part #) the same quality?

sofasurfer

Threads
Cub LTX1050 50" cut. Cub Cadet wants $46 for a set of three blades (part #942-04053c). I have seen other places that want $90. Amazon wants $30 for the set (same part #). Are these cheaper blades the same quality?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
No
Sometimes
Perhaps
Depends upon the length of a piece of string.

In general Oregon blades are better, better steel usually thicker to boot.
Stens blades tend to be from OEM suppliers and generally identical . however I have gotten some that were thinner steel
Rotary blades that I have used were all made in Mexico and seem to be identical
Prime Line blades have never been tried so I don't know.
Unbranded Chinese blades all look the same but on several occasions my customers have had one fail in brittle mode when they hit a star picket, tree root, rock etc
These were Original blades from the shop where they bought the mower and appear to be made from plain high carbon steel not boron alloy steel.
It is hard to access the quality of blades fitted to customers mowers because I have no control over their use
However the landlord uses 2000 series Cubs on the farm & for those we found the Stens blades came a close second to Oregon blades and both outlived the MTD blades by quite a long way.

So if you are a customer are looking at blades bought on line, have a serious think.
Blade breaks & goes flying off into the distance injuring a person or their property .
Is there an identifable person to sue or will the buck stop with me ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All those blades that came on the first page of the Amazon search by PN are aftermarket blades. And Bert said there are differences in quality from manufacture to manufacture. Here I do sell the XTH version of these blades as they are heat treat to increase the hardness and toughness of the blade. They usually have about twice the life of the OEM blades but also sold a couple other aftermarket blades that didn't live up to even OEM standard wear.

Considering the OEM blades here lists for $21 each, CC wanting only $46 for a set is not all that bad. I can get them a little less through my distributor but I have to make a profit on them.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
$46 ain't bad at all for 3 blades.... My local tractor supply store carries cub blades, $25 a piece for the LTX1040, 2 blades.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have never thought the OE blades to be of great quality in just looking at them, but in using them on my LTX1050 I found that they held up well. Their design does not make for easy sharpening, but suppose that you do not hit anything with them, they should last many years and will handle a few sharpenings so long as there are no significant nicks or dings along the cutting edge. The price you will pay for your blades is not too bad. 3 OEM blades for my 48" Exmark were around $60. I would certainly purchase Oregon blades or alike, but I would not purchase aftermarket blades that are "identical" to the originals. Just my take on it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I find the Arnold brand to be soft and wear fast
OEM and Oregon and Stens are about the same.
Marbain blades last the longest.